Big Open Wound! Please Help

Also I have another question. Someone told me that I can put some hydrogen peroxide on my fish with the wound. They said put dry the wound out and then put a tiny bit on the wound. They said to continue this for 3 days and it should heal better. Do you think that this is wise to do?

Ouch poor thing

When I got my marmoratus she had a really really nasty wound where half her fun was missing. It was really red and sore looking. The best thing I got told was no matter what keep the water clean. I did many good water changes about every 2 days and it healed up fine. You can put as many chemicals in as you want but water quality is a better healer than any

Really hope it gets better mate

I think that one of my problems is that this is my first tank and I think I might feed them to much. Every time I clean the tank a get a ton of extra food that comes up from the gravel. Would extra food cause this problem? I can see how because the bacteria would grow on the food and cause the fish to get it.

The spot that I have a question about is by his gills. It is really purple. I also don't know why he isn't growing. My other gourami, the one with the wound, is growing just fine. An ideas what this is and why he isn't growing?

fish 3.jpg

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 80
Also I have another question. Someone told me that I can put some hydrogen peroxide on my fish with the wound. They said put dry the wound out and then put a tiny bit on the wound. They said to continue this for 3 days and it should heal better. Do you think that this is wise to do?

Peroxide can be used, but it's harsh. It will take all the slime coat off, but it sounds like the sore is getting bigger so harsh measures may be in line. You can use clove oil to anesthetize the fish, just be careful and it will be the least stressful way to handle the fish. You will have to temporarily isolate the fish in some kind of hospital to administer the clove oil. You can use a bucket. There is information on the net about how to do it, but basically you dilute some clove oil in safe water and add it in increments to the isolation bucket until the fish passes out. Take him out and place him on a wet sponge or towel and do your thing. Just be prepared, practice a dry run a few times and it should only take a moment to apply the med. Then just put the fish back into the main tank and he should come to pretty quickly. Just be careful to not overdose him or he might not wake up again. :-( Google up directions from the internet on how to do it. I still think I'd go with povidone iodine as it shouldn't be quite as harsh.

Be absolutely certain that you don't have water quality issues. Those purple gills don't look too good either. Be sure to test your nitrItes as well as the ammonia. Gouramis seem to way more tolerant of ammonia than high nitrItes. High nitrItes give them major problems. It you have any measurable nitrItes, put a little aquarium salt in the water to help protect the fish from methemoglobinemia (nitrIte poisoning).

EDIT: Oh yeah, about that bump on the second fish. Does it look like that on both sides? If so, it looks he ate too much or may be a little bit constipated right now.

I will make sure that the nitrates, pH, and everything is good. I put in some aquarium salt so hopefully that helps and changed the water temperature to 80 degrees. My rainbow doesnt seem to be sick at all, is that because they have better immune systems then the gouramis? On my second fish he does have the bumps on both sides. So if he is constipated, what should I do to make him better?

Can you post your water params? Something can't be right somewhere.

Ok...It's time to pull out the big guns here. I usually don't advocate bottled water, But for dwarf's, they are so sensitive to everything. I think it is time for you to run to the store and buy 8 gallons of ozarka brand spring water and do a water change with it. Do not add salt, add Prime. If you do not have Prime, go buy some, please. Also, buy some Jungle or Tetra LifeGuard and fast the tank for 2 days. Follow the directions on the box to the letter.

I started with a ten gallon with dwarf's and platy's, and have seen the purple gills of death before. Something about the mineral makeup of Ozarka brand water fits the dwarf's needs exactly and never failed to help heal bad things for me when it comes to dwarf's. And I have seen the LifeGuard kill things the antibiotics couldn't touch.

Good Luck Chappo! :good:

Ok...It's time to pull out the big guns here. I usually don't advocate bottled water, But for dwarf's, they are so sensitive to everything. I think it is time for you to run to the store and buy 8 gallons of ozarka brand spring water and do a water change with it. Do not add salt, add Prime. If you do not have Prime, go buy some, please. Also, buy some Jungle or Tetra LifeGuard and fast the tank for 2 days. Follow the directions on the box to the letter.

I started with a ten gallon with dwarf's and platy's, and have seen the purple gills of death before. Something about the mineral makeup of Ozarka brand water fits the dwarf's needs exactly and never failed to help heal bad things for me when it comes to dwarf's. And I have seen the LifeGuard kill things the antibiotics couldn't touch.

Ok i will go do that. Thank you :)

No prob. Everyone else was kinda waffling about the melafix without giving you a clear course of action. I have experienced the EXACT same thing, and remember exactly what it took to fix it. You might have some pathogen in your tap water that your dwarf's just can't handle. Remember to warm the water before you add though, sweetie.

Also, the Lifeguard is tough on filter bacteria, so you are really gonna have to watch your ammonia and nitrites while your treating. I hope your fishy babies get better, hon!

P.s..The Prime will be your best friend, as it only takes like 10 drops to treat 10 gallons. But Only use it again after the LifeGuard course is finished! :good:

Cool, actual life experience. :) I'll be trying that in the future with the ozarka, though where it actually comes from may vary depending upon where you live based upon statements from Nestle. I'll be checking out lifeguard as well.

No prob. Everyone else was kinda waffling about the melafix without giving you a clear course of action. I have experienced the EXACT same thing, and remember exactly what it took to fix it. You might have some pathogen in your tap water that your dwarf's just can't handle. Remember to warm the water before you add though, sweetie.

Also, the Lifeguard is tough on filter bacteria, so you are really gonna have to watch your ammonia and nitrites while your treating. I hope your fishy babies get better, hon!

P.s..The Prime will be your best friend, as it only takes like 10 drops to treat 10 gallons. But Only use it again after the LifeGuard course is finished! :good:

Thank you so much :) I just have to go find the water now. When I first got my gourami's the lady at the pet store said that they were super hardy fish but having them for a few months now I know better.

True, afremont, but they treat it to make a consistent product. So the bottle of delicious Ozarka water I buy in Denison is the same as the Ozarka water a trucker buys in Montana. Product Consistency= Consumer loyalty. :hey:

And, in our case, equals keeping alive ridiculously sensitive and over bred dwarf gourami. :shout: Such a gorgeous fish, soo very weak.

True, afremont, but they treat it to make a consistent product. So the bottle of delicious Ozarka water I buy in Denison is the same as the Ozarka water a trucker buys in Montana. Product Consistency= Consumer loyalty. :hey:

And, in our case, equals keeping alive ridiculously sensitive and over bred dwarf gourami. :shout: Such a gorgeous fish, soo very weak.

If my fish were to die ( I hope that I can make them better) what fish do you think I should get that are more hardy? I have a rainbow in there right now and it seems to be doing very well.

The rainbow is a nice fish, but I would hesitate to add another one to a 10. I would personally suggest 4 male platys of different color variations. No girls, or you will be in trouble, and quick, lol! :hey:

Most reactions

Back