Bettas

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

A muddy puddle of water and stale bread are the bare minimum.

However, for healthy abd happy fish, the bare minimum is:
1 tank (1/4 gallon to 5 gallon)
1 net (3"x2.5")
Quality food
Water conditioner
A healthy betta
Turkey Baster(water cleaning)
Tweesers (feeding small amounts)
A book on the subject (a must if you are absolutely new to caring for bettas)

Extras:
Sponge filter
BettaFix (I hear)
Ornaments
Gravel

No. Not if it's in a warm room w/o fluctuating temperatures. The turkey baster is for water changes, which you should do every three days or so.

The sponge filter is the best type of filter for bettas b/c it doesn't cause a current and it doesn't suck fry and eggs in. Undergravel filter might work, too. But bettas like small tanks, so sponge filters would be best.

I hope you buy them. They are beautiful and (at times) lively fish.

Precautions:
Don't place bettas w/ other fish unless you are sure they won't kill each other.
Don't place female straight in with the male (check out breeding forums or (I would prefer this so I could show off my expertise :D )ask me to find out why)
Never place two males in the same tank, ever!

I have a dual betta hex, but the problem is that it causes tehm too much stress.
Two males together means they'll flare and annoy each other, and a female and male would mean that the guy would start building his bubble nest in the hex and long :D for the female.

I am. It doesn't hurt... You can cycle it w/ the betta in there. :D

By "cycling" do you mean the initial phase or w/ the fish? (Probably the former, right?)

Not necessary. If there is too much nitrite, nitrate, or ammonia the betta can take air from out of the water. Plus, there shouldn't be much of these chemicals anyways b/c you shouldn't feed them too much and they don't give off a lot of waste b/c they don't eat a lot.

Good! :D Tell me (and of course I mean "us") about everything when you get the betta(s). I want to know how a newbie to bettas (other than myself, though all my info is accurate b/c I did research b/f getting the fish) cares for his fish.

In how big a tank. With what type of ornaments and gravel?
If it doesn't have a filter, then he might have trouble staying alive, and the food you toss in will rot b/f he can finish it. However, tubifex worms stick to the sides of tanks and can be eaten by the betta and the oto. I suggest asking more questions b/f buying the oto (not the betta, you're fine w/ what you have for now, though a book might help) along with the fact that you'll have to cycle the tank w/ the betta in it b/f you can add the oto.

Algae shouldn't be a problem if that's why you want him, though.

Most reactions

Back