Bettas and Platies

Supersalmon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 Wagtail and 2 Mickey Mouse Platies in my tank and have recently introduced a male betta. When I put him in the bag in the tank before releasing him he watched every move of the platies. Whenever one came close to the bag he started displaying, fanning his fins and flaring his gills. When I released him into the tank this behaviour continued, he doesnt do this with any other of my fish. Is he confused, thinking that the platies are females or is he trying to assert his authority? Can platies and bettas be kept together? He has not tried to nip any of the platies or anything he just displays to them.

i had bettas and platties together as my first fish
everything was fine to start with but after a while the male betta attacked one of the platty and killed her
after that he just got worse, killed another, then terrorised the last one before i had to remove the betta

i will point out that when i researched which fish to get there were many opinions, most of which suggested anything that looked like another male betta wuold be in danger, and anything else would be fine

sadly not my experience

I have had bettas and platy's together all the time, and they get along just fine. As with any other "aggressive" fish, just keep an eye on them. Good Luck!

I bet it also depends on the bettas temperament. I have two bettas in a dual betta hex and one continuously flares at the other, while the other one just swims around nonchalantly. I bet if I put the former in my platies would be in trouble, but I doubt the latter would hurt them. (I'm planning on adding him to my five, but I might make that a rearing tank and just leave him where it is. If I decide to move him, I'll let you know if I was successful) :D

It really depends on the betta. I have three bettas that I think would be great in a community tank, and I think my other two would terrorize everyone in the tank. If he continues to flare at the other fish for the next day or so (or start chasing/attacking them) I would say you need to take him out. Not only will he stress/possibly hurt the other fish, he'll be stresed as well. Just keep an eye on everyone, if he settles down, you should be fine. Remember bettas are not like other fish in the sense that their temperments can range from extremely peaceful to aggressive with other fish.

its possible he thinks the wagtails are female bettas (so the flaring would be expected). as the others said, just keep an eye on the tank.

i had my betta in a 5g with a few platties and had had the same experience that you are having. After a while i did see some tears in the fins of some so i put him back in to his other tank. when i got a 10g, i tried it again and i haven't had a problem. they've been in there for about 2-3 weeks now. so, i would give it a shot and see what happens for you.

Thanks for all the replies. The betta has settled down and doesn't bother any of the other fish at all now, in fact he just swims gently past them. I actually think he kinda looks down on the platties with disdain as he passes them. Its that look that says 'Hey! I'm better looking than you are!' :D

Most reactions

Back