Betta with swim bladder disease that won't go away?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettamummy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm Emily and my crowntail Zissou isn't feeling very well.

Tank size: 5.5 gallons
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: 180
gH: 150
tank temp: Usually at 78, but I've increased it to 80.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Bloated abdomen, lying on his side lethargic at the top of the tank, difficulty swimming down, swims in short bursts on his side if he wants to get somewhere. Not his usual active and curious self. I noticed his symptoms six days ago on Sunday. My mom gave him some pea while I was at work that night and I gave him another piece on Tuesday. He fasted Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and so far today. He has been pooping some, but he's still bloated. I've done a few 50-60% water changes and I gave him an epsom salt bath Thursday night. I thought he seemed a little less bloated yesterday morning, but it came back last night. He might be a little better today...it's hard to tell.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 75% every week/week and a half

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Top Fin betta conditioner

Tank inhabitants: Just him

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): A new betta cave. My other betta has the same one and she's fine.

Exposure to chemicals: None

Digital photo (include if possible): The top one is from yesterday and the bottom one was just taken.

photo host

image upload no size limit

My mom gave him some pea while I was at work that night and I gave him another piece on Tuesday.

Please stop feeding Bettas peas, If you need to feed them something that acts as a laxative try daphnia.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 75% every week/week and a half
50% once or twice a week is better,

Is your tank cycled.

What are you feeding him and how much.

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
How are you testing the water?

A new betta cave
Bettas do not live in caves, Bettas are surface dwelling fish and they love floating plants, The only reason a betta uses a cave is because they feel insecure,

Thank you very much for your response.

I'm afraid I may have followed some faulty instructions by putting him in his tank right away without cycling first.

Before all this started, I was feeding him 2-3 Aqueon pellets every day. I fed him two small pieces of freeze dried daphnia today and I won't give him more peas.

I'm testing the water with API strips. I've read they may not be entirely accurate, so I'm going to drop some water off at the pet store for testing to be safe.

He doesn't spend much time in the cave, just swims through the openings now and again. He also has a floating log and plant, but I'd be happy to get him more.

I'm afraid I may have followed some faulty instructions by putting him in his tank right away without cycling first.
Ok you must step up your water changes, I would be doing 25% every other day

He also has a floating log and plant, but I'd be happy to get him more.
This is good, If you can get more plants thats good.

Can you post a photo of the tank.

I gave him an epsom salt bath Thursday night.
This is ok, and should help.

I would suggest a few more epsom salt baths, but depends on how far its gone your fish may not recover.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back