Betta With Badly Damaged Fins

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well I have been mucking around with my bettas a bit lately. I bought a new male and found that he was utterly traumatised so I've been trying to find a quiet spot to rehabilitate him so I've shuffled a few males around. I also bought a female and I thought she might be too young to start conditioning to spawn. So just to see if she was interested in males I set up a spawn tank, put her in it and chucked Valhalla in it. She was inside a chimney. I'm not stupid enough to release a young female with an untested male. She did show interest - so my little experiment was completed, I had what I needed to know, I put her in a different tank and moved Valhalla again. I just went to check on him again and his anal fin has been utterly cut off. It looks like he's had a run in with a blunt guillotine. There's about 1/3 of an inch of it undamaged and then right in the middle it's cut off. On either side there are a few intact rays.

My chances of getting medication are nil. I've fixed his damaged fins before (had a run in with a filter) and he healed fine with salt which I'm using again. What I want to know is: should I cut off the bits of fin that are hanging? Not the bits with intact rays but the bits that have come away but not come off. He is healthy otherwise, eating and active. Dunno what to do.

Hi
I wouldn't try cutting off anything! Could cause more damage and stress.

It sounds like he's been tail biting. As long as you keep the water clean he should be fine, but if you notice any rot setting in, you may need meds. Its gonna take a while to heal and may grow back a different colour.

Most reactions

Back