Betta VERY Sick HELP

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

saltlick

Reaction score
My betta has been sick for several days. He is now lying around on his side after swimming to the top and gulping air he sinks back to the bottom. I am treating him with Maracyn, Aquari-sol, and Betta Fix Remedy (antibacterial). I have done complete water changes adding non-iodized salt and a BIO Coat conditioner for interal/external stress. He has not eaten in several days. I kicked the water temp up to 80 degrees for the Aquari-sol. I tried the pea trick as well but since he's not eating....

What could be wrong with the little fella and what am I doing wrong? It's times like this I wished I really knew what to do.

betta.jpg

Same is up with mine. He was eating and then all of a sudden stopped, sometimes swims around frantically and then just rests in the corner or at the bottome and doesn't eat :/

I had two girls who had a similar story. Wouldn't eat and one would just hang around while the other looked pretty healthy. Both died and the latter one developed dropsy :(

Just a question.... are you treating him with ALL those meds??

Do you have a filter in his tank? If your adding all these meds with out filtration, there will be low oxygen levels that could be making him weaker. Thats why most medicine directions say increase filtration. Also as mentioned above, adding more than one med together can sometimes lead to a lethal dose.

I'm filtering the water but I was treating him with everything at once. In the beginning I was doing one at a time. But he doesn't seem to respond to anything. Now he has two big light spots shown in the picture.

Would it help if I change the water and NOT medicate it to see if he can get more oxygen? He still comes to the surface for air then sinks back down.

He hasn't eaten in days, I don't know how he keeps going.

betta2.jpg

I have had the same exact problem with my former betta and I say former because unfortunately he did not make it. I also tried medacation, tried boosting the water temp, had a filter going on high. Nothing seemed to make a difference. I posted a topic during all this and no one seemed like they were able to help. So I'm sorry that I do not have any advice but now you know that you are not the only one with this mystery illness plauging you.

My betta also did not eat for days. He went for about five days while his condition worsened. He was also getting white spots and another things I noticied is that since he was moving only to get to the surface to get air that he would fall down and lay by the filter, this meant his long beautiful fins were being ravaged by the filter at all times. Eventually they became black and white and looked dead. So I tured off the filter but they never recovered. Just thought I would mention this so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Good luck and I hope you betta pulls through this!!!!! ;)

I hope it's not too late, but if you've done everything you can think of and no one here has any other ideas may I suggest that you go, fast as you can click, over to

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
you might find something useful in her discussion of betta diseases and treatments.

if that doesn't help, go to the main page at http://www.bettatalk.com/
she has a search function right on the front page. type in the symptoms and see what comes up.

turbotiber said:
Just a quick question, you say that your fishy hasn't eaten in days... does he seem to be bloated even though he hasn't eaten??
No he doesn't seem to be bloated. It's pitiful to see this fish suffer this way. It's so weak it can barely get up now to get to the surface for air. :-(

fighters only live for 2 years on average so dont beat yourselvs up who knows how old they were when yous bought them . . if you have carbon in filteration and you medicate or the carbon is more than 3 months old it can become toxic .
the fish require a high protien diet and dont get mutch exercise often dieing from obeseity . people feed them well ending in thier demise.

Most reactions

Back