juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
The Veiltail -

post-22-1091601658.jpg

Mustard Gas Veiltail Male

post-22-1080976410.jpg

Multicolor Veiltail Female

Veiltails usually have a single ray extending all the way from the body, without any ray branching (though once is fairly common). The membranes are all connected, and the fins affected are the dorsal, anal, and caudal (tail). Only males show this characteristic, and their fins can be up to four times the length of a short-finned betta. Veiltails are the most common type available, and are the kind usually found in petstores. The tail fin droops and is non-symmetrical, meaning it cannot be evenly divided with a horizontally drawn line through the middle.

The Plakat -

post-22-1093326206.jpg

Black Plakat Male

post-22-1093326518.jpg

Orange Plakat Female

Plakats are the natural form of Betta splendens, the type occuring in the wild. The short fins allow for the fish to get around quickly, without any excess finnage weighing them down. Any other tail type is a man-made mutation. In the Plakat male, the anal fin is markedly extended and pointed, when compared with females. The tail is symmetrical, and the rays branch at least once.

The Crowntail -

post-22-1085076437.jpg

Blue/Red Crowntail Male

post-22-1089527858.jpg

Multicolor Crowntail Female

In Crowntail bettas, the fin rays protrude beyond the membranes of the caudal, anal, and dorsal fins, creating a "fringed" look. The length of the membranes varies, which can also create the following tail type (Combtail). In Crowntails, the rays branch at least once, creating twice the amount of rays as many veiltails. Some Crowntails have the trait of yet another ray branching, which is known as "Double Ray".

The Combtail -

Purple4.jpg

Multicolor Combtail Male (photo courtesy Arashi)

Combtail bettas have also have fin rays extending past the membranes, though to a much smaller extent. There do is not enough of a length difference between the membranes and rays to classify as "Crowntail". The male is this photo is a also a Veiltail.

The Doubletail -

post-22-1087598724.jpg

Red Doubletail Male

post-22-1080976319.jpg

Red Doubletail Female

Doubletails have an increased number of fin rays, with that amount being variable depending on the fish's tail type. The fish actually has two tails, each with an equal amount of rays. The dorsal fin is also twice the size of single tail bettas, due to the increased amount of rays. Ideally, the Doubletail should have an full split down the middle of the tail lobes, and the lobes should be identical in size.

The Halfmoon -

post-22-1093325938.jpg

Red/Green Halfmoon Male

In the Halfmoon tail type, when fully flared, the caudal should be a full 180-degree half-circle. This is due to an increased amount of ray branching. If the tail is larger than 180 degrees, it is known as "Over Halfmoon". These tails are symmetrical and very heavy.

The Delta or Super Delta -

post-22-1089183423.jpg

Gold Delta Male

post-22-1093326064.jpg

Red Super Delta Female (non-flaring) - note the ray branching

Delta and Super Delta tails are those which do not meet the 180-degree requirement of a Halfmoon. They fall short of this, but still have enough ray branching to create a tail which looks much like a fan when opened. It should be much wider at the end than at the base, and be symmetical. Super Deltas are those which have a wider angle to their tail, such as around 130 degrees.

Hey guys. Lately I've been noticing quite a few questions about tail types, so I thought I'd post a basic overview. :) I hope it is helpful, and if the mods think it could be useful in the future, perhaps it could be pinned.

Arashi - If you don't want me to use your photo I'll take it out, but yours is a great example, and a pretty fish, so if you don't mind - Thanks. :wub:

If y'all think it needs any additions, I'll add them. I think these are the most common tail types though. "Round tails" and such aren't very common, and not really a standardized type. :dunno: Also, if you guys think the addition of female photos might be helpful, I might do that. I've got pics of most of them, and if I don't, I'll ask. :thumbs:

Spade tails are pretty uncommon anymore. If anyone has a photo of their own fish who is a spade tail and they don't mind me using it, PM me and I'll add it. :)

wow, many thanks Julie
this helps a lot I now think my new
femle is actually a male plakat.

Females would be nice...... :)

Heres a pic of my CT Female

Attachments

• 100_0726.JPG
    100_0726.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 300
This is a really great post! Thanks, very informative. I also would like pics of the females and explanations of what type they are. Many thanks! :D

Actually..a Super delta is a 180 degree caudal, but the edges curve towards the caudal, and not straight. If it curves toward the body, it is OHM. If it is less than 180, but more than 165 degrees..it is a HMx..Check Phil Laffertys web page...BettaCave

f250 - Interesting, thanks. :) I've never heard that before, and still don't necessarily agree, but don't really want to start an argument. I've read a lot more sites with information contradicting that, than sites that agree. From what I know, and what I believe, Delta tails have the straight edges to their tail, and they are "Fantails" if the edges are rounded away from the body. So that's just MHO, but thank you for your input! :thumbs:

Thanks everyone, glad it's helpful, and I hope the newly-added female pics are also helpful. :p

accually iv heard exactly what fisherman said most places, there is no real perfect deltas, the tail ranges in size and shape but 180 degrees is considerd the norm. ;)

so would that basically mean that deltas are just "imperfect" halfmoons?? i had a delta that i thought was just some funky cross gone awry.....

I have couple questions that dont really have to do with tail type I think, but what makes it a 'Mustard Gas' or a 'Butterfly'?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back