Betta Sick or Just Changing Color???

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Following on from what Deanasue said. Any ammonia or nitrites in the water can irritate the fish.

Even once the tank is cycled, nitrates should be kept below 10 ideally. This is why weekly water changes of up to 75% per week are recommended during cycling.

Doing these removes most of the toxins in the water that shouldnā€™t be there.

Best of luck.
. GUPPYLOVER3x is correct except for saying it will ā€œirritateā€ the fish. High readings of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates is toxic to fish, thus poisoning them. Long term exposure will kill the fish. It is not only imperative to do weekly cleaning and water changes but also to test your water with an API Master Freshwater test kit. You can purchase them at your fish store or Amazon. Donā€™t panic...we got this!

Please take the time to read on the Nitrogen Cycle in Freshwater fish tanks. You have to understand this in order to keep healthy fish. Hereā€™s a good video to explain it.

Last edited:
Please take the time to read on the Nitrogen Cycle in Freshwater fish tanks. You have to understand this in order to keep healthy fish. Hereā€™s a good video to explain it.
Thank you so much, I'm working on a water chamge as we speak and plan to pick up some test kits from my local pet store very shortly.

I have to agree with @Guppylover3x

It clearly will irritate the fish. Even with it being toxic, anything toxic will irritate the fish. Itā€™s practically the same thing. You have received some very good advice.

It clearly will irritate the fish. Even with it being toxic, anything toxic will irritate the fish. Itā€™s practically the same thing. You have received some very good advice.
Oh, Guppylover3x was correct that it is an irritant. Sheā€™s very knowledgeable. Yes, I would certainly say that anything poisonous would irritate you. However, not everything that irritates you will poison you. Itā€™s not the same thing at all. A mosquito bite will irritate me but not be toxic to me. I wanted the OP to understand that this is not just an irritation to the fish but could be deadly if not dealt with. Can you understand my point? However, we really just want to get this fish well, donā€™t we?

Last edited:

As much as I appreciate you agreeing with my comment. I donā€™t think Deanasue meant any harm by what she said.

In all fairness to her, I didnā€™t word it the best myself.

What makes this forum enjoyable is the fact that sometimes users do have different opinions.

Itā€™s always interesting to view different points in an open minded manner. And use these points to learn more. I have personally learned a lot on this forum from members.

Deanasue being one of them.

The main priority is the fish, and we need to help the OP get him better again :)

As much as I appreciate you agreeing with my comment. I donā€™t think Deanasue meant any harm by what she said.

In all fairness to her, I didnā€™t word it the best myself.

What makes this forum enjoyable is the fact that sometimes users do have different opinions.

Itā€™s always interesting to view different points in an open minded manner. And use these points to learn more. I have personally learned a lot on this forum from members.

Deanasue being one of them.

The main priority is the fish, and we need to help the OP get him better again :)
You rock, GUPPYLOVER3x! OP - Sounds like youā€™re on the road to getting this little fish well. Weā€™re all here to help!

You rock, GUPPYLOVER3x! OP - Sounds like youā€™re on the road to getting this little fish well. Weā€™re all here to help!
I agree, we are all here to help each other!

We can do this together :)

@Colin_T hurry up and get online! Lol

Oh, Guppylover3x was correct that it is an irritant. Sheā€™s very knowledgeable. Yes, I would certainly say that anything poisonous would irritate you. However, not everything that irritates you will poison you. Itā€™s not the same thing at all. A mosquito bite will irritate me but not be toxic to me. I wanted the OP to understand that this is not just an irritation to the fish but could be deadly if not dealt with. Can you understand my point? However, we really just want to get this fish well, donā€™t we?
When you explain it like this the two of them are different. I didnā€™t see it from that point of view. Sorry if I caused any offence.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back