Betta Sick or Just Changing Color???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JayLynn Foss

Reaction score
I've had my betta for about four months now. Before anyone says anything, yes I know his fins are a bit tattered, he is recovering well from some fin rot. My main concern is if he is sick or not. He had started developing white spots on his fins so I thought it was Ich, but it didn't that filmy look to it. Today he suddenly developed the large white spot just under his dorsal fin. Is he sick or just changing colors?

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_233828.jpg
    IMG_20190604_233828.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
When I tried to view the attachment, it said “Error, attachment could not be found” I can’t help you without a picture. Please try “Upload a File”, instead. :)

Can you try loading the pic again, please? I get the error notice too.

When I tried to view the attachment, it said “Error, attachment could not be found” I can’t help you without a picture. Please try “Upload a File”, instead. :)

I have fixed the post by using the upload button

If this happened suddenly, I don’t believe it’s a color change. What are your water parameters? @Colin_T, do you know what this could be?

Welcome to the forum :hi: :fish:

I agree with Deanasue. I think we need to know the parameters.

Colin will be able to assist further hopefully.

Hhmmmm........that’s really hard to say. Are there any more white spots, on his body?

I suggest doing a 50% water change, keep monitoring him. Good luck! :)

Hhmmmm........that’s really hard to say. Are there any more white spots, on his body?

I suggest doing a 50% water change, keep monitoring him. Good luck! :)
Yeah, there's a few on his other as well.

And thanks, I will definitely do that

We still need to know the water parameters in order to help you. What’s the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? I have a feeling you may not be. If that’s the case, then I’m gonna bank on that he’s suffering from toxic poisonings of the above. Do a 75% water change immediately using dechlorinated water. What size tank is he in? We gotta lot of fixing to do here if we want to save this fish. We can though! Colin should be here soon but we can get started with the big water change.

Last edited:
Note: Do a 75% water change, not a 50%. We need to lower the nitrates as much as possible.If you’ve already done the 50% as suggested above, do another 50% now.

Following on from what Deanasue said. Any ammonia or nitrites in the water can irritate the fish.

Even once the tank is cycled, nitrates should be kept below 10 ideally. This is why weekly water changes of up to 75% per week are recommended during cycling.

Doing these removes most of the toxins in the water that shouldn’t be there.

Feeding should be a minimal of a few times per week during the nitrogen cycle.

Best of luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back