Betta Siblings Get Along........

SneakBetta

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Do betta siblings only get along with each other if they've been together thier whole life?? I think that's it. Otherwise, how would they know if they're siblings??

Ashley

There have been experiments, that show that some betta siblings can get along. In most cases all males will become aggressive and fight, regardless.

Females can get along depending on their temperment.

I am currently looking into the possibillity right now.

There is a page I found that has an experiment where a batch of betta fry (males & females) were kept together for 5 months.

Jen :D

I've read a lot on the subject and they CAN stay together for about 5 or 6 months, once they hit maturity they'll begin to fight and must be seperated

I dont know if this is true but I someone else, on a different site, said that they had kept 2 male betta brothers for a long time, then seperated them then put them back 2gether and they fought. but before that they would get along just fine!! But I doubt that, that would work everytime. :thumbs:

Depends on the fish (seems I'm saying that a lot today). We have one tank of turqs born in early Feb. who have all lived together (boys and girls) quite peacefully--including 4 babies from another spawn from the same time. The boys were only separated this weekend to encourage their fins to grow out (have no scientific data but someone thought that the dominant males may release hormones into the water delaying the maturation of other males in the tank). Of course, this is the most peaceful spawn we've ever had. The boys from the April spawn were also jarred this past weekend because they were nipping everyone but they've been very aggressive since they were big enough to see with the naked eye. So, it really depends on the fishes. In general, most sisters can remain together without much trouble--and they'll tolerate one brother in among them as long as he doesn't get uppity (they'll gang up on him and tear him apart if he does).

Most reactions

Back