Betta Personalities

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
Just posting a little rant because it's nearly 4am and I'm bored out of my skull and thinking of fish.

Most people recognise the beauty of bettas, but what makes one a betta fanatic is their little personalities! Tabris is the first betta I've had who flares at the hand that feeds him (He also nips me if I put a finger or two in his tank -_-)
Afriel dances for me whenever he sees me, and Kerubim just swims to the front of his tank to greet me every morning.
One of my favourite personalities, though, is Altarib. His bowl is located right beside my bed, so sometimes the little ham gets an extra bite of food at bedtime :rolleyes:
I talk to him sometimes too, as I take delight in the fact that he seems to react to my voice... he's probably giving away my secrets to all the others! :rofl:

Do any of you see the same individuality in your fish, or am I insane? :lol:

I only have one betta but he's got quite a bit of character :)
He's a really calm guy and a bit of a dope... he won't eat unless I drop the food on his nose because he can't be bothered looking for it and he won't touch anything if its at the bottom.

He hates my brother though... if my brother goes up to the tank he starts displaying at him and won't calm down until he goes.

Mine is friendly soul; he started of following the Red Tailed Shark around, the two seemed best buddies - the shark was quite reclusive until he came along, then they were out together all the time.

I've only ever seen him flare once, in a moment of true bravery. A golden gourami I had was picking on him, chasing him and making him cower under the plants, so I isolated the gourami in a breeding trap for a while. After 30 seconds of incarceration, my betta swam up and gave him a good old display through the glass! How brave!! It was a total :p moment!

:wub:

:wub: I have two bettas! one is at work, and one is at my house. The one at work, is sooo soooo cute. He's got the cutest littleface i've ever seen on a betta, and he does the sit there and stare untill i feed him begging thing. Then if i ignore him and don't feed him he starts doing his little dance and flaring at me.

Then the one at my house, has an attitude problem. He flares at everyone and everything! He is quit old though. He's a grumpy old man who sits lurking in his cave all day and only comes out when its feeding time. I too also have to drop his food right in front of him or else he wont eat it!

LOL gotta luv BETTAS! :wub:

Mr. Purple is a little sweetie pie :wub: hes very calm and non-agressive, but he will flare at a mirror when i go over by him with it. but its like he gets all excited about it. i cant even go by his tank without him coming right up to the front to see when im up to, and its no even at the top of the tank hes just a busy body! i have to tap the lid with his food box (hikari bio-gold) then he wswims over but he knows to grab it right up because of the filter current, the first few days i had to stick a straw in and push the food to get his attention to eat it.
my other betta, mr teal is a naughty boy! hes VERY agressive! :crazy: but he doset really flare at me or people in general. he loves the mirror. he has a little floating live plant that he lounges on and attacks. he will shove his nose in the plant and push it around and shake his head like a dog playing with a toy! a major downside to his agression is that i think he is now biting his tail and that needs to stop!
bettas are really the most "doggy" fish ive ever kept! they definetly have the most personality of any fish ive ever kept (i have always had freshwater tropical fish)

My Betta Chong is such a scaredy cat. Sure he'll beat up a corie but show him his reflection in a mirror and , oh dear time to run away. Forget the double jab and head but he is a useless fighter :lol: Not that I fight him of course but if it ever came to it he'd get his ass kicked :rofl: But I love him and he's so cool. Kind of reminds me of a dog!

Those are some beautiful bettas Synirr!

Stan was a friendly fellow. He would almost eat food right out of my hand. He would also swim to the front of the tank when I came near and he was always very active. I miss him :-(

I've only had my two for a short period of time (a week) :) but they've already been showing me their personalities!

My turquoise, Santana, is more of a laid back type of guy, he loves to just hang out, follow me around from one side of his tank to another...he only gets excited when he's shown his reflection, then he loves to flare...swim away and blow bubbles...swim back, flare, swim away and blow bubbles...he would go forever if I let him!

Diego is very(underlined, bold, italicized, whatever) :D fiesty, he would take on anyone, anytime, anyplace, just let him know! He moves about a mile in a half a second and attacks whatever is put in his tank, no matter how big!

:wub:

My female betta is funny. She is in the 20 gal (see sig) she is so active and chases guppy fry all day. Then she swims over to her boyfriend (5 gallon next to her tank) and flares at him. He then flares at her and extends :flex: his fins. I am going to breed them soon. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back