Betta jumping discussion

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning on changing my lighting system, which will require removing the standard lid that. How low should the water level be so he can't jump out (I've left 2.5 inches empty from the top)? He is a veiltail, he is not aggressive and hasn't attempted to jump so far and I will add some floaters too.

I thought about using a glass lid but I can't find anything decent and for the size of my tank in the UK. And my tank on the top is just glass, it doesn't have that frame to put the glass on, which means I need custom-made glass and clips. I wanted to make a sliding glass lid with corner mouldings but since I don't have that frame to put it on, I need to think of something else.

I have been keeping Bettas in lidless tanks for over 3 years. Not once have I had one attempt to or jump out. I fill my tanks up to/past the black rim.

If you had a super aggressive Betta, then I would be a little more cautious...

*Excuse the unkept tank - I haven’t done my trimming this week. :angel:*
0C4F5130-2A26-402F-A86B-C79EB29427D7.jpeg

Usually the water is all the way up to the black rim. I use the lamp as my light, and it’s worked very well for the past 2 years.

The only issue with lidless tanks, is that the water evaporates much faster than if you had a tank with a lid.

In my experience, long finned bettas barely jump. I've only noticed a slight hop if you're hovering tongs with their food on right above their head. I've had plakat females dive out of tanks the moment the lid is lifted though, with floating plants. To be safe, I'd lower the water level a good couple of inches regardless

I was planning to leave the water level a couple of inches lower as you advised too. I just wanted to make sure this will be low in, just in case. The tank is 70L so it's not like he will lack space.
Now I need to make a new post for some weird lesions/bumps he has on his head with full details and a picture.

I've had four bettas and sometimes have kept them for extended periods without a lid. Never did any of them try to jump. I'm sure it can happen with aggressive bettas in particular, but I don't think it's as common as people think. I did have a nerite snail climb out of my lidless tank and die, which is why I added a lid, but never a problem with the betta. Water will evaporate faster and it's harder to maintain temperature, but jumping is not that big a risk. An inch or two is probably enough space to give I think.

I was planning to leave the water level a couple of inches lower as you advised too. I just wanted to make sure this will be low in, just in case. The tank is 70L so it's not like he will lack space.
Now I need to make a new post for some weird lesions/bumps he has on his head with full details and a picture.
If you are feeling wary, I would just go ahead and leave a few inches. You can never be to safe.

I am planning on changing my lighting system, which will require removing the standard lid that. How low should the water level be so he can't jump out (I've left 2.5 inches empty from the top)? He is a veiltail, he is not aggressive and hasn't attempted to jump so far and I will add some floaters too.

I thought about using a glass lid but I can't find anything decent and for the size of my tank in the UK. And my tank on the top is just glass, it doesn't have that frame to put the glass on, which means I need custom-made glass and clips. I wanted to make a sliding glass lid with corner mouldings but since I don't have that frame to put it on, I need to think of something else.
Is it a custom made tank? You may be able to find a place that cuts plexiglass and give them your tank dimensions, and see if they will cut it for you. (Make sure to give them in the internal rim dimensions, not the normal tank dimensions)

It is not a custom-made tank. I got a Juwel Primo 70 tank. The company doesn't sell glass canopies/lids for it and I can't find any on the tank's dimensions. I wish at least it had a rim so I can just put the glass on.

It is not a custom-made tank. I got a Juwel Primo 70 tank. The company doesn't sell glass canopies/lids for it and I can't find any on the tank's dimensions. I wish at least it had a rim so I can just put the glass on.
You can still get the dimensions and then add a little extra, go to store, and get them to cut plexiglass for you.

Most reactions

Back