Betta fry 5 month old growing very slow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bred plakat male and halfmoon female it was second spawn and before 7 days VT fry were born. After that i placed both spawn in same tank and after few days i noticed many fry from second spawn was eaten by first spawn fry. And only one fry left from 2nd spawn so i kept him seperate and other fry from first spawn grown almost full size but that one fry still 2.5cm. She is showing colour and gender but growing very slow. I feed them mosquito larvae.

You need to feed them more variety. Baby fish need lots of different food to grow well.
eg: When the fry were about 3-4 weeks old, I use to feed them on crumbled up dry food, then marine mix that was cut up really finely, then bloodworms that was cut up, then microworms, then newly hatched brineshrimp.

That was one feeding, which included all those foods. The flake was used to give the greedy fish something to eat. The marine mix was the main part of the diet that filled up everyone. Any fish that was sill hungry got bloodworms, which they all managed to eat. Then microworms, which are small and easy to swallow. Then newly hatched brineshrimp that would swim around the tank for the next couple of hours and the fry could eat them when they wanted to.

The fish were fed until they were full, and then the newly hatched brineshrimp were added. All the fry had fat little stomachs and looked like pregnant guppies. The idea of filling them up is the food takes longer to digest when they have a full stomach. This means they get nutrients over a longer period of time.

I fed them that about 5 times each day until they were mature. At which time they were either sold or fed less often.

--------------------------
Don't mix different aged fry because the big ones eat the smaller ones.

You need to feed them more variety. Baby fish need lots of different food to grow well.
eg: When the fry were about 3-4 weeks old, I use to feed them on crumbled up dry food, then marine mix that was cut up really finely, then bloodworms that was cut up, then microworms, then newly hatched brineshrimp.

That was one feeding, which included all those foods. The flake was used to give the greedy fish something to eat. The marine mix was the main part of the diet that filled up everyone. Any fish that was sill hungry got bloodworms, which they all managed to eat. Then microworms, which are small and easy to swallow. Then newly hatched brineshrimp that would swim around the tank for the next couple of hours and the fry could eat them when they wanted to.

The fish were fed until they were full, and then the newly hatched brineshrimp were added. All the fry had fat little stomachs and looked like pregnant guppies. The idea of filling them up is the food takes longer to digest when they have a full stomach. This means they get nutrients over a longer period of time.

I fed them that about 5 times each day until they were mature. At which time they were either sold or fed less often.

Ya when they were small size i fed them microworms and copepods, baby daphnia mix for some period then i continued mosquito larvae. But other fry getting bigger but i dont understand only this fry is not growing well.
I think if they dont get nutrients properly then other fry should not grow that much. :D

long finned fish will grow slower than short fin fish.
males grow faster than females.
it could also be a dud and will turn out deformed, they grow slower than the average fish.

Lol, I meant seeing the Fry hatch, and growing up to this point! :)

Lol, I meant seeing the Fry hatch, and growing up to this point! :)
I was excited to see their fins because i crossed different tail type. But all time i got females only and not a single male. So was little bit disappointed. But im sure this time ill get at least one male :)

That’s what would drive me to insanity (Not that I’m already there....) is having to wait and see if you got any males, or females. Because you can’t tell the gender until they are older, right? :)

That’s what would drive me to insanity (Not that I’m already there....) is having to wait and see if you got any males, or females. Because you can’t tell the gender until they are older, right? :)
Even in real life that i never get that much females in my life but in betta all females ;D

Oh! It just can’t be opposite, can it? XD

@Colin T, what is the marine mix you often refer to? Is it something you can feed to adult fish also?

Marine mix is a mixture of prawn/ shrimp, fish and squid or octopus that has been minced up together and frozen into blocks. You can add spinach or marine algae to it as well.

Most reactions

trending

Back