Betta fish query

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

R1cky92

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to this forum and looking for a little help. I have a small 110litre tropical set up and itā€™s been absolutely fine for about 6 months plus but the last couple of weeks Iā€™ve lost 2 of my favourite Bettaā€™s :ā€™(
now another one doesnā€™t seem to be doing well itā€™s started hiding in the corner of the tank and not moving. I have tested all the levels using the tetra 6in1 test kit and everything is perfect. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks Ricky

Are these female bettas? Wild type bettas?

males I believe from my local pets at home will try get a picture

F9AC6080-E980-4D68-B1D8-CB62A8396EEE.jpeg

If you have males in the same tank they will kill each other. Separate them immediately

They must be female then as they were kept together in the shop and they allowed us to purchase 4 together knowing they would be in the same tank

Pets at home are notorious for misinformation as they don't have the correct information themselves. You really ought to find out their gender asap. Even females can fight each other for a number of different reasons. If you've lost two this week and a third is now cowering in the corner, there's something going seriously wrong within your tank

I agree. Separate them until you know the sexes

To keep females together they will need alot of space in a heavily planted tank so they are able to avoid each other and establish their own territories. They should also be closely monitored and you should know the problematic behavioral signs to ensure you can intervene and keep all fish safe. A sorority tank isn't quite as easy as a standard community tank of guppies, platties etc, it takes a fair bit of experience, knowledge and research.
Sounds as if your bettas are killing each other or you're having water parameter problems. Is the tank heated and filtered? Water treated?

Okay thanks for your help I only have 2 remaining now anyway so what I will do is try to source another tank tomorrow and get this sorted ASAP... I used pets at home as believed they knew what they was on about but looks like they donā€™t... the tank is heated and filtered, I use tetra aqua safe to treat the water.

Sadly most pet stores know next to nothing and just want your money

Okay thanks for your help I only have 2 remaining now anyway so what I will do is try to source another tank tomorrow and get this sorted ASAP... I used pets at home as believed they knew what they was on about but looks like they donā€™t... the tank is heated and filtered, I use tetra aqua safe to treat the water.
Take some of the filter media from the filter in your tank and put it in the new filter when setting up your second tank as the tank won't be cycled. What I've learned is you're probably better coming here for information and answers to your questions than pets at home lol. I believe you 100% that you've been misinformed by them, they once put two males in the same bag for me and didn't believe me when I told them that they'll kill each other. They're absolutely useless and couldn't care less as long as they get their minimum wage! Best of luck going forward though, sorry that you've lost your betta's. Put in a formal complaint against them, get some free plants, water treatment or pellets out of them lol

Just done another water test to post results

Attachments

• 06A9D642-53D5-4374-8F09-0AF3CF374532.png
    06A9D642-53D5-4374-8F09-0AF3CF374532.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 53
While I think of it, you can always pick up some tank dividers and divide your tank into sections to house male bettas. Make sure they're sections are large enough though, atleast 3.5G. That's what I've done

While I think of it, you can always pick up some tank dividers and divide your tank into sections to house male bettas. Make sure they're sections are large enough though, atleast 3.5G. That's what I've done
Will go into town tomorrow and see what I can get

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back