Betta Fish And Platies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I want to do a tank with one betta and some platies and maybe mollies.  Are these good tank mates?

First of all, what is the tank size you are planning on having? Mollies get quite big.

It all depends on the individual betta's personality. The rule of thumb is that anything that can be perceived as prettier or fancier than the betta (by the betta) then it probably won't do well in the tank. The betta often will perceive them as a threat and try to remove them, or vice versa. Some people have had good luck with harlequin rasboras and some other non-fancy fish. Generally, bottom feeders like cories, otocinclus catfish, snails and shrimp are the best tankmates.

I have a 30 gallon.  The one I am really interested in getting are the platies.

they should get along alright but it does really depend on the personality of the betta. I have a dwarf gourami ,platys and pygmy corys I. my tank and they do fine together. If I remember correctly bettas are a sub species of gourami I think, they both have that air breathing organ.

You might be ok with a betta and some platys/mollies but like mentioned before it all depends on the betta and his personality.  Watch for the platys/mollies nipping the betta's fins as both of these types of fish can be nippy.

Ok. I also have another tank where if I need to I can separate the betta and put him/her in their own tank. I have an 8g and 10g if I need them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back