Betta fin rot?? Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Don't use Bettafix, Pimafix or Melafix in tanks with Labyrinth fishes because it can leave an oily film on the surface that can hinder or prevent the fish form being able to breathe.

-------------------------
For everyone doing salt baths for fish, they are not good.
Every time you catch the fish and lift it out of the water, you can damage the skin and let disease organisms get in. You are better off leaving the fish in its tank and adding stuff to the tank so the fish is not being handled.

Not good. Overnight with the salt seemed to make it a lot worse :( I followed the directions on the salt package and diluted it. Going to do another water change right now.

Attachments

• 3D53F672-6ABB-41D2-80D2-02CE289733BC.jpeg
    3D53F672-6ABB-41D2-80D2-02CE289733BC.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 70
It has developed fungus (white fluffy stuff on dorsal fin). You need the full dose of salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water) or use an anti fungal remedy (Methylene Blue usually works but can wipe out filter bacteria).

Last edited:
I did use the full dose of salt. I went back to the pet store and the lady strongly suggested Pimafix for fungus. Iā€™m not really interested in opening a debate about it, I change the water daily and Iā€™m down to my last options. Itā€™s only increasing and his dorsal fin is nearly gone. The salt has not helped at all. Heā€™s eating and swimming fine but itā€™s starting to eat at his body and Iā€™m stressing out. His front ventral fin is turning red now as well.

Attachments

• AAE7D798-3CFB-4BEE-BAFB-B38980492859.jpeg
    AAE7D798-3CFB-4BEE-BAFB-B38980492859.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 9B747654-348D-4D7E-A051-E7559D0EC874.jpeg
    9B747654-348D-4D7E-A051-E7559D0EC874.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DC6CB8E9-F1EC-45D8-9C16-0F7567014BC4.jpeg
    DC6CB8E9-F1EC-45D8-9C16-0F7567014BC4.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 55
I know you don't want a debate but the -fix meds, besides the problem with labyrinth fish, are not terribly effective. I think of them like an antiseptic for us - OK for keeping a wound clean but if an infection gets in we'd need something a lot stronger.

I know you don't want a debate but the -fix meds, besides the problem with labyrinth fish, are not terribly effective. I think of them like an antiseptic for us - OK for keeping a wound clean but if an infection gets in we'd need something a lot stronger.

What would you suggest?

Which country are you in? Different countries have different medications.

I'll have to wait for a Canadian member to help you I'm afraid.

Get a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoa.

Methylene Blue treats fungus and bacteria but also wipes out filter bacteria so you need to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels when using it.

Triple Sulpher/ Tri Sulfa treats bacteria and fungus and doesn't normally affect filter bacteria. Use the maximum dose. Crush up and dissolve the tablets in a small phial of water before pouring them in the tank.

Before treating the tank, wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate, remove carbon from the filter, increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back