Betta fin rot?? Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ashlyn

Reaction score
I recently took in my moms betta fish and noticed a growth on his top fin. His water quality was not the best with her and Iā€™ve been changing it every couple of days here. It looks like fuzzy mould and has been getting bigger over the past couple days. What is this and how do I treat it?

Attachments

• AA7E0480-DAB2-49DC-B869-ED1660969C6B.jpeg
    AA7E0480-DAB2-49DC-B869-ED1660969C6B.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 147
Looks like a fungus due to poor water conditions. Do a 75% water change and add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt for each 1 gallon of water. Be sure to dissolve the aquarium salt before adding to tank. Otherwise, it can sting and burn the fish. Do a 50% water change each day and add 1/2 the salt back in each day. Example: if you have a 5G tank then you initially put in 5 tsps. Next day you do 50% water change and add 2 1/2 tsps. Do this for 10 days. If things havenā€™t improved you will then need to use a fungal med such as Mardelā€™s Maracyn 2. Good luck! Please keep us posted. Note: Turn tank heater down to 75F during treatment. Fungus grows faster in warmer water. The betta can handle this for the 10 day treatment. Then slowly turn back up to 80F.

Last edited:
Thanks! I changed the water again today and while he was in the bowl as I was cleaning the fuzzy part fell off. He had a bright red raw spot where it was (almost like it was bleeding) and now it seems like itā€™s healing a bit. Itā€™s not nearly as red or open. Iā€™ll buy some aquarium salt tomorrow to see if it helps.

Don't forget the daily water change, and add salt to the new water - add the amount needed for the volume of the new water only. With a raw wound you need to keep the water as clean as possible to try and stop an infection getting in.

Sounds like things are already turning around with the clean water. The salt will serve as an antiseptic while wound is healing. Keep us posted!

It looks like fungus to me.

I recommend a 75-80% (The bigger, the better) water change, and 3 salt baths a day, for a week.

It should clear up in no time, good luck! :)

It looks like fungus to me.

I recommend a 75-80% (The bigger, the better) water change, and 3 salt baths a day, for a week.

It should clear up in no time, good luck! :)
@PheonixKingZ, Iā€™m curious, why salt baths instead of salt directly in tank and what type of salt are you referring to?

@PheonixKingZ, Iā€™m curious, why salt baths instead of salt directly in tank and what type of salt are you referring to?
Well, I wanted to give PheonixKingZ an opportunity to respond but he hasnā€™t done so. Therefore, I am going to proceed and say that baths would not be a recommended treatment plan for your Betta as he doesnā€™t need added stress. Also, placing a fish in aquarium salt for just a few minutes doesnā€™t do any good at all. Please continue to do as I have instructed above. Good luck! If things worsen then we will have to look at another course of action and different disease . Prayers for success!

I am referencing to ā€œEpsom saltā€.

I use that method myself, because @Byron recommend it to me. That might not be the majority vote, but it is mine. :)

For relieving pressure, (aka Pop-Eye) salt baths work great.

As far as ā€œFungusā€ goes, I use specific medications.

This is just my opinion. :)

For relieving pressure, (aka Pop-Eye) salt baths work great.

As far as ā€œFungusā€ goes, I use specific medications.

This is just my opinion. :)
@PheonixKingZ it was me that gave you the treatment for Popeye and I went to all of the trouble to write out which salt was used for what and treatments. Do you still have that information? Iā€™m puzzled as to why youā€™re giving out Popeye treatment information for a fungus issue. I realize you truly want to help and I appreciate that. Please, be careful when recommending treatment for any issue. We want to help these people treat their fish appropriately. Thank you so much.

I am referencing to ā€œEpsom saltā€.

I use that method myself, because @Byron recommend it to me. That might not be the majority vote, but it is mine. :)

I don't recall ever suggesting this to anyone. I've never used Epsom salt anyway since fortunately I have never had cause to treat whatever.

EDIT. After posting, spotted Deanasue's post, so that mystery is solved.

Update: had some things come up and couldnā€™t get to the store earlier but I got aquarium salt and Bettafix tonight and just did a water change to add the salt in. I was going to wait to see any progress before adding the Bettafix. Should I wait or add it now?

Howā€™s the fish looking. If still improving I would just continue with the water changes and salt.

Most reactions

Back