Betta extremely lethargic and twitching? PLEASE HELP!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kmacask

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had my betta for about 2 months, and he was very healthy for the first 1.5 months, but about a week ago, he became very lethargic and staying up in the very top corner of his tank, not eating and with clamped fins. The water parameters were 0 chlorine, 0 nitrite, traces of ammonia, and traces of nitrates. It only lasted one or two days before he was back to normal. Now, he is very lethargic again, I would say worse than last time, and he is still not eating, and instead of being in the corner of his tank, he either squeezes between the filter and the glass or lays on the bottom in a plant. His breathing seems labored. I tried to do a 25% water change (I treated the water and ensured it was the same temperature before I added it) but he is still resting on the bottom breathing heavy. I know his gills are black, I got him that way, so that is not new. I have now seen and heard him making a clicking noise twice now, he lifts his head up and a click comes out. He does it 4/5 times then no more. When he does swim, it seems almost as if he is shivering and it is very twitchy and abrupt, he often will end up hitting the side of his tank. It is very sad to see. Please help, I donā€™t know what to do!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 121
Sorry to hear, get some cattapa leaves or Almond leaf as it may naturally get rid of stress. Keep the temperature stable , keep him in a dark place (you can cover your tank with a towel). How good is your filter media (good bacterial colonies will help keep fish healthy). Donā€™t do water changes it will further stress your fish. Mostly filter media such as sponge needs to be washed thoroughly before inserting into your filters coz these are known to contain several type of fungi harmful to aquatic animals. Even sponge filter for that matter needs to be washed well. Keep him in a place where there is no light and sound.. keep me posted.. hope he ll recover soon!!

Sorry to hear, get some cattapa leaves or Almond leaf as it may naturally get rid of stress. Keep the temperature stable , keep him in a dark place (you can cover your tank with a towel). How good is your filter media (good bacterial colonies will help keep fish healthy). Donā€™t do water changes it will further stress your fish. Mostly filter media such as sponge needs to be washed thoroughly before inserting into your filters coz these are known to contain several type of fungi harmful to aquatic animals. Even sponge filter for that matter needs to be washed well. Keep him in a place where there is no light and sound.. keep me posted.. hope he ll recover soon!!
Thank you! I went to the fish store today and got some Cattapa Bark and it is in his tank now, and I just covered his tank so it is dark. How long should I leave it covered? I tested my water again today, and all the parameters are still perfect. How do I know how good my filter media is?

I'm assuming you have a filter and heater on your tank, but wanted to double check. Someone posted a week or so ago about a sick betta and was keeping it in a small fish bowl.

Are you using a water conditioner on your water before you add it to the tank?

Thank you! I went to the fish store today and got some Cattapa Bark and it is in his tank now, and I just covered his tank so it is dark. How long should I leave it covered? I tested my water again today, and all the parameters are still perfect. How do I know how good my filter media is?
Great you are doing the best you can, howā€™s his diet now ? You can keep his tank covered and provide him comfort for a couple days, sudden movement usually stresses a fish thatā€™s already stressed, you can gently remove the cover and get him adopted to day night cycle in a day, itā€™s best to provide betta with natural shelter like coconut hide outs or if you can spend a few bucks then well planted aquarium with broad leaves such as Java ferns are good to help them feel more secured(my delta tail love his cryptocoryne plant)also note the bark u introduced may release tannins in the water column n itā€™s perfectly normal wonā€™t harm fish. Coming to filter media use mechanical filteration (sponge filter) n normal hang on back or under water filter with reduced flow (few ceramic rings with pores help develop good bacteria) , betta is labyrinth fish but still good air pump is better. All small things only. If he doesnā€™t eat at all for next two days observe if he has developed Labored breathing, any bloating or white eye, we can try salt water treatment for possible bacterial infection but canā€™t do this without being 101 percent sure. Most importantly ensure to keep him in stable temperature. But donā€™t worry, he is a fighter after :) all he will recover soon..

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have a filter and heater on your tank, but wanted to double check. Someone posted a week or so ago about a sick betta and was keeping it in a small fish bowl.

Are you using a water conditioner on your water before you add it to the tank?
He is in a one gallon tank, which I know is smaller than preferable, but I had to get him for a school project and could not afford a bigger tank and I didnā€™t want to get rid of him after the project was done. There is a filter in it, but there is no heater but his tank is consistently between 73-75 degrees. I know this is lower than preferable as well, but he was perfectly fine for the first 2 months in that temperature!

He is in a one gallon tank, which I know is smaller than preferable, but I had to get him for a school project and could not afford a bigger tank and I didnā€™t want to get rid of him after the project was done. There is a filter in it, but there is no heater but his tank is consistently between 73-75 degrees. I know this is lower than preferable as well, but he was perfectly fine for the first
Great you are doing the best you can, howā€™s his diet now ? You can keep his tank covered and provide him comfort for a couple days, sudden movement usually stresses a fish thatā€™s already stressed, you can gently remove the cover and get him adopted to day night cycle in a day, itā€™s best to provide betta with natural shelter like coconut hide outs or if you can spend a few bucks then well planted aquarium with broad leaves such as Java ferns are good to help them feel more secured(my delta tail love his cryptocoryne plant)also note the bark u introduced may release tannins in the water column n itā€™s perfectly normal wonā€™t harm fish. Coming to filter media use mechanical filteration (sponge filter) n normal hang on back or under water filter with reduced flow (few ceramic rings with pores help develop good bacteria) , betta is labyrinth fish but still good air pump is better. All small things only. If he doesnā€™t eat at all for next two days observe if he has developed Labored breathing, any bloating or white eye, we can try salt water treatment for possible bacterial infection but canā€™t do this without being 101 percent sure. Most importantly ensure to keep him in stable temperature. But donā€™t worry, he is a fighter after :) all he will recover soon..
He is in a one gallon tank, which I know is smaller than preferable, but I had to get him for a school project and could not afford a bigger tank and I didnā€™t want to get rid of him after the project was done. There is a filter in it, but there is no heater but his tank is consistently between 73-75 degrees. I know this is lower than preferable as well, but he was perfectly fine for the first 2 months in that temperature!
Best kept at 78. And almost forgot, how clean is your gravel, try gravel vaccing coz at times toxic gasses release from the gravel, seen this happen too (remove him from the main tank while doing that). But if you are 100 percent sure water columns ok then no worries you can rule out this check...

He still has not moved since I covered his tank, so i have not added any more food into his tank because I tried to put some in yesterday and he never moved to eat it. Should I try again? I donā€™t have any hides for him because his tank is only 1 gallon and I worry that if I add too much into his tank he wonā€™t have enough room to swim anymore. He has a live plant in there with him and that is all. It looked like he was breathing heavily yesterday, but not quite as bad today. I havenā€™t noticed any bloating or white eye, but he is pretty hidden in the back right now and I canā€™t get a good view.

Best kept at 78. And almost forgot, how clean is your gravel, try gravel vaccing coz at times toxic gasses release from the gravel, seen this happen too (remove him from the main tank while doing that). But if you are 100 percent sure water columns ok then no worries you can rule out this check...
My gravel doesnā€™t look particularly dirty, but I was considered vacuuming it just to try. I want sure if that would harm him or not though, so I will try that if it is alright to do. I got my water checked again today and I hve no ammonia, no nitrates, and no nitrites. pH between 7.0 and 7.3

Is your betta is fine now ??cheers
He is much better! Seems to be fine! Not sure what was going on, because there has been no change in water temperature so I donā€™t think the temp was the issue. The bark made the water pretty dirty and clogged up my whole filter cartridge though, and they were all sold out in town of the size I needed, so I ordered some online and they should be getting here in the next few days! Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back