Betta Egg Binding, Not Enough Information Available On The Web?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

keithp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, so I have looked in books and on the web and I have noticed there is hardly any reliable info on betta egg binding, as far as the cause of it, symptoms, and treatment. I was hoping a bunch of you on here could help posting info on this, including myths on it commonly said. Thanks!

I would be interested in information regarding egg binding/bound in female bettas also. I was kind of thinking it would be neat to have a tank with females in it, but am hesitant because of the fear of the females becoming egg bound.

So any and all info on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

well to my knowlege betttas females cant become egg bound.. ive had tanks of females and they just release their eggs and they or other femlaes usually eat then, thats why you dont see the eggs.

betta arent birds so i dont think its the same thing, and sometimes new fish parents think a betta is egg bound when they are realy just constipated from too much food, be it pelets or freeze dryed stuff, it tends to bung them up.

i have one fasting day a week and try using live or frozen < thawed out of course> food, to give them some varity.

also a bit of desheled pea once in a while helps the poopers too.

"betta arent birds ...."

Funny you should mention that. Years & years ago I used to raise birds and DID lose two females (one lovebird and one cockatiel) to being egg bound. That is EXACTLY where my concern came from regarding the bettas!!!

Thanks for the info - it greatly relieves my mind should I decide to set up a female only tank!

I'm sorry to break it to you, but bettas CAN get egg bound. I used the search feature here and there were mabye 8 topics about betta owners with egg bound females, some who's fish died. Now i'm not saying bettas cant be overfed or constipated, they can, and there bellies will bulge so people may mistake it for an egg bound female or could be dropsy, but make no mistake egg binding can happen!

ive had tanks of females and they just release their eggs and they or other femlaes usually eat then, thats why you dont see the eggs.
That usually is what happens, but again, sometimes something goes wrong and the females have difficulty releasing the eggs and if they cant release them or absord them they will rot in the belly and kill the betta. Picture a person with a dead fetus they cant expell, yeah, bad news! (sorry to be gross)

All i'm asking is for people who know about betta egg binding to post info on it here. This is not a debate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back