Betta chunk missing please help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

As for the rest of the fish......

The Dwarf Gourami will likely fight with each other and everything else that is male once they are sexually mature. You might want to consider returning one or both to where you bought them or getting more aquariums.....they will fight to the death over territory once fully matured.

The Betta sorority shouldn't have any other fish with them as they can be aggressive with each other at the drop of a hat....might be weeks, months...but they will inevitably get bolshy with each other

Please say that the Pleco on the side glass is not a Common and is a Bristlenose....if not a Bristlenose, it will outgrow your aquarium, 100 litres is probably cutting it fine even for a Bristlenose with the current stock levels tbh.

The Platies and Guppies and Neon's would have been fine in that aquarium on their own....maybe

To be brutally honest here, I get the feeling that whoever supplied your fish "saw you coming" and has frankly gone crazy with what they have sold you for such a (relatively speaking) small aquarium

Are you able to return some of the fish...or set up 2 or 3 more aquariums to cater for them?
Ah we've been done! Thank you. I'll have a chat with my better half and we'll work out a plan. Pet shop said the pleco would grow to 10cm.

Everyone has rightfully mentioned the Gourami's but as an extra note in my experience Neon Tetras (and most other tetras) are really bad for fin nipping.

I personally never keep long finned fish in with any type of tetra, they just don't seem to be able to resist them most of the time.

They wouldn't have caused the initial problem here but thought it was worth raising as something to consider.

Ah we've been done! Thank you. I'll have a chat with my better half and we'll work out a plan. Pet shop said the pleco would grow to 10cm.
If the shop refuses to take the fish back, including the Pleco, then tbh I do not feel you have any alternative but to buy another couple of 100 litre minimum aquariums to accommodate everyone safely/healthily.

Can you remember what the Pleco was called on the label in the shop.....if its a Bristlenose (BN) or maybe a Clown Pleco you might get away with it...but on a much lighter bioload since they are mucky blighters.

What's the filtration on the aquarium, did it come with the aquarium as part of a kit or did you buy it standalone? Sometimes if you have an oversized filter you can get away with overstocking...but even with an oversized filter, your mix of species is asking for trouble in the temperment/territorial sense which won't be handled with heavier planting or sight line blocking.

You really do only have the two alternatives here......take fish back and thin down the stock/bioloading...or buy 2 maybe 4 more aquariums and share the stocking out according to their territorial natures (the two male Gourami will need a home alone each with a few smaller fish that will not get their hormones raging), the female Betta sorority needs a home alone (with a spare aquarium incase they start fighting).

Let me say this...that it is not your fault that you have the wrong species mix in an aquarium not large enough to handle their behavioural traits and needs. The fault lies entirely with the shop sales person who saw commission over fish welfare. So don't kick yourself over this, it can be put right but will need determination and maybe deep pockets to do it.

If the shop refuses to take the fish back, including the Pleco, then tbh I do not feel you have any alternative but to buy another couple of 100 litre minimum aquariums to accommodate everyone safely/healthily.

Can you remember what the Pleco was called on the label in the shop.....if its a Bristlenose (BN) or maybe a Clown Pleco you might get away with it...but on a much lighter bioload since they are mucky blighters.

What's the filtration on the aquarium, did it come with the aquarium as part of a kit or did you buy it standalone? Sometimes if you have an oversized filter you can get away with overstocking...but even with an oversized filter, your mix of species is asking for trouble in the temperment/territorial sense which won't be handled with heavier planting or sight line blocking.

You really do only have the two alternatives here......take fish back and thin down the stock/bioloading...or buy 2 maybe 4 more aquariums and share the stocking out according to their territorial natures (the two male Gourami will need a home alone each with a few smaller fish that will not get their hormones raging), the female Betta sorority needs a home alone (with a spare aquarium incase they start fighting).

Let me say this...that it is not your fault that you have the wrong species mix in an aquarium not large enough to handle their behavioural traits and needs. The fault lies entirely with the shop sales person who saw commission over fish welfare. So don't kick yourself over this, it can be put right but will need determination and maybe deep pockets to do it.
Thanks a lot. Really can't remember the name of the pleco....the shop had a lot and we chose the smallest (as in when it's fullsize).
We bought the filter separately, it's external.
First point of call will be to see if the shop will take any back I think. I'd love to keep them all in separate tanks but not sure have space or funds for that.

Thanks a lot. Really can't remember the name of the pleco....the shop had a lot and we chose the smallest (as in when it's fullsize).
We bought the filter separately, it's external.
First point of call will be to see if the shop will take any back I think. I'd love to keep them all in separate tanks but not sure have space or funds for that.
Keep positive.

It might be a difficult task dealing with the shop, I recommend that you ask for the manager rather than approach the person who sold the fish to you. Just explain the situation and hopefully they will see sense. You might not get a monetary refund though if they agree to take back some of the fish, you might get credit notes instead...thats fine, you can use them for more plants, food and other bits and pieces that you need for maintenance etc. Remain calm when discussing things with them, if they absolutely refuse to help you then if you have friends or relatives with aquariums that you can rehome the fish.....or last resort, euthanise, but that is the absolute, no alternative option if buying more aquariums is completely out of the question and the shop refuses to help you out.

Good luck...I sincerely hope that you can get this tangle sorted out in the best way possible.

When I lived in that neck of the woods, there was a very active fishkeeping hobby in the area and lots of shops, dependent upon the goodwill of the customers.I'd hope that this was even more important, now we're in the world of social media.
Was it a major franchise store, like Pets at Home, or Maidenhead Aquatics, or was it a smaller, local place, seemingly run by a fishkeeper or two?

When I lived in that neck of the woods, there was a very active fishkeeping hobby in the area and lots of shops, dependent upon the goodwill of the customers.I'd hope that this was even more important, now we're in the world of social media.
Was it a major franchise store, like Pets at Home, or Maidenhead Aquatics, or was it a smaller, local place, seemingly run by a fishkeeper or two?
Maidenhead Aquatics.

Maidenhead Aquatics.
Then it's definitely a Manager chat required...they have a whole range of fish welfare-related policies that they appear to have broken.
To date, I've been well impressed with my 'local' store. Whilst it's an hour to get there, it's been well worth the trip for the consistent expertise available.

Then it's definitely a Manager chat required...they have a whole range of fish welfare-related policies that they appear to have broken.
To date, I've been well impressed with my 'local' store. Whilst it's an hour to get there, it's been well worth the trip for the consistent expertise available.
Our experience has been dependent on who is serving, we've been given conflicting advice. We were told about gourami's not getting on with bettas but on a subsequent visit when we'd already had them a few months. They then recommened we get 3 more bettas (we had 2 at this point) and keep an eye on they interacted with the gouramis, so we did. Bella is one of the new ones. To be fair I haven't seen any stand offs between the gouramis and bettas, they seem to ignore each other.

I'm actually pretty surprised. At least the three near me have always been really good and they would always have been one of my top recommendations for a "chain" store.
My 2 maidenheads never ask about tank size/ tank mates. They just give people what they ask for. I don't go there unless I really have to.

I'm actually pretty surprised. At least the three near me have always been really good and they would always have been one of my top recommendations for a "chain" store.
A few are good (fortunately) so lucky you !
I've never been asked what I think is essential :
- tapwater GH KH pH then fishes that match with it.
I've been nerver answered about behavior-dwelling area-slow swimmer or active swimmer :
- no, these fishes cannot live with those ones
That is why I say I'm sad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back