Betta Breeding?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fish_breeder

Reaction score
A friend and I wanted to start betta fish breeding. We are both 12 yrs. old and going into 7th grade. I was wondering if this was too difficult for us or not. I have breed guppies and I know how to care for animals and so does my friend. We have already done some research but I wanted to get some personal info. How old does a betta fish have to be before you can sel it? How yound can you determen the sex and how old until they get their color? How much money do you expect to spend? Do you know what supplies and where to get the supplies at that I need? Any info would be great! Even answers to questions I might have forgot to mention.

Betta breeding isn't a hobby it's a job. :p

You should wait until summer because they require a lot of care an attention that you can't give them while your at school.

while betta breeding is a job it's also a great hobby ;) before embarking on this endevour you should definately do your research beforehand though. cultivating live food is crucial for the first month of the frys life IMO. there are a few different routes you can take though..baby brine shrimp are easy to cultivate and you can get the eggs at any pet shop. the setup is easy too, we use a 2 litre coke bottle with the bottom cut out, water should be salted (non iodized) and airated. thats a good start. we use vinegar eels as well but micro worms work really well too. it make take some searching out to find those cultures though.. it's a good idea to start with some quality breeding stock if you want to sell them. veil-tails are a dime a dozen, but if you can find something a bit more exotic (double-tail, crown-tail, plakat or super delta) the chances of selling them to your LFS more than double. making money off your bettas is hard though, unless you can offer something people haven't seen before (or have a hard time getting wherever they live). you must be prepared as well for the possibility of getting upwards to 100+ fry so make sure you have space for all the fish when they are big enough to jar. we have found that bettas truly acheive their colours after being jarred (2+ months) a large grow-out tank (20 gallon+) is also needed before you think of jarring them as well. ;)

Well me and my friend live like 20 miles away from each other and I'm not moving close to her house until the summer so thats when we were going o start. There is a store close by that sells some type of micro worms or whatever you call them for like $5 for a cup. I have a 10 gallon tank but I still need to find enough quart jars. Do you think walmart would give me or sell me some of those cups that they use for their Betta fish? Im not planning on breeding show quality bettas just breeding for fun and to make up for the money we spend on them plus I just love them. I already have the betta fish and they are in their own seperate tanks.

fish_breeder said:
Well me and my friend live like 20 miles away from each other and I'm not moving close to her house until the summer so thats when we were going o start. There is a store close by that sells some type of micro worms or whatever you call them for like $5 for a cup. I have a 10 gallon tank but I still need to find enough quart jars. Do you think walmart would give me or sell me some of those cups that they use for their Betta fish? Im not planning on breeding show quality bettas just breeding for fun and to make up for the money we spend on them plus I just love them. I already have the betta fish and they are in their own seperate tanks.
ok, you won't make many friends on here mentioning walmart betta cups in the same sentence as keeping bettas ;) those cups are way too small. we use 1 litre glass bottles for our juvenile bettas, water must be 100% changed every three days at least. it's a lot of work. i don't know about shops in your area, but if i was to offer them veil tails they wouldn't buy them from me, i might be lucky to get a store credit though...so..good luck making your money back unless you breed quality stock. best of luck though, bettas are super cool ;)

Most reactions

Back