Betta and heater discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KoppeKatxx

Reaction score
Male betta refuses to move from the bottom of the tank while his heater is plugged in. He just stays at the bottom (only come up for air) and will not move around his tank (normally a very active fish), I have to unplug his heater for him to start moving normally again. I’m thinking there is an issue with the heater as I’ve hit the 2 yr warranty on it in January.

He can go without a heater while I get him a new one since his tank stays between 78-79 Fahrenheit. I’m just writing this asking if this is normal?

I may be totally wrong but it seems to me that it is possible that there is a crack in the heater housing allowing water to enter causing the water to potentially shock or irritate the fish. This would be easy to see if the crack were to be in the glass part that holds the heating element but not if it were to be in the section that contains the controls. I am basing this solely on it depending on if the heater is plugged in or not.

I may be totally wrong but it seems to me that it is possible that there is a crack in the heater housing allowing water to enter causing the water to potentially shock or irritate the fish. This would be easy to see if the crack were to be in the glass part that holds the heating element but not if it were to be in the section that contains the controls. I am basing this solely on it depending on if the heater is plugged in or not.
It’s a 50 watt heater from aquarium co op

I agree with @jaylach but your question raises yet another question . They used to sell a metal rod that was immersed in aquariums whose purpose was to dampen electric fields generated by heaters , power filters and power heads . Supposedly some fish are very sensitive to that . I have never seen evidence of that but who knows .

It’s a 50 watt heater from aquarium co op
The wattage of the heater would not really apply as to what I suggest. I don't know your finances but would suggest replacing the heater as the worst thing that could happen is that you have a backup. The cost of a new 50 watt heater is not much. Of course the 50 watt raises another question... What is the tank size? If the tank is over ten gallon I'd suggest going with 100 watt up to a 20 gallon tank but a 50 watt is fine for a 10 gallon or smaller tank. I tend to over kill a bit on such things and roughly figure 50 watt per 10 gallon of tank size. I do the same with filtration. I have a 20 gallon cube but between my under gravel and built in sponge filter the filtration would be fine for a tank twice the size.

The wattage of the heater would not really apply as to what I suggest. I don't know your finances but would suggest replacing the heater as the worst thing that could happen is that you have a backup. The cost of a new 50 watt heater is not much. Of course the 50 watt raises another question... What is the tank size? If the tank is over ten gallon I'd suggest going with 100 watt up to a 20 gallon tank but a 50 watt is fine for a 10 gallon or smaller tank. I tend to over kill a bit on such things and roughly figure 50 watt per 10 gallon of tank size. I do the same with filtration. I have a 20 gallon cube but between my under gravel and built in sponge filter the filtration would be fine for a tank twice the size.
Yes it’s a 10 gal tank with a 50 watt heater. For now it’s unplugged and I will be looking into getting a new heater soon. His tank is at a 78.4 degrees Fahrenheit right now.

Yes it’s a 10 gal tank with a 50 watt heater. For now it’s unplugged and I will be looking into getting a new heater soon. His tank is at a 78.4 degrees Fahrenheit right now.
Your water temperature may be a case where you MAY not even need a tank heater if the temperature will maintain in the range 78F due to ambient room temperatures.

Your water temperature may be a case where you MAY not even need a tank heater if the temperature will maintain in the range 78F due to ambient room temperatures.
Yeah the house is hot natured all year round basically…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back