Betta Alternatives

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is there a Labyrinth fish that can be used as an alternative for a betta?

I know Bettas are extremly hardy but there has to be another Anabantoid or Gourami that can survived in an unheated, unfiltered smaller tank.

Any that come to mind?

No. They need heat without question. Obviously where you live does make a difference but if you're in the UK no tropical fish will survive in an unheated tank. Unfiltered they can manage so long as plenty of water changes are done regularly and the water quality itself is watched constantly but not without a heater. :/
And just how small are you thinking? The hardiest of the gouramies are probably the 3 spots but they won't do well in a tiny tank as they grow much bigger then bettas. They also like company (well mine do for sure) and are capable of being very aggressive.
In short, you really can't keep any anabantoid in an unheated tank if you live in a temperate climate. If you're after a coldwater fish then it's a different matter but I don't think any coldwaters are labyrinth. Sorry.
Hugs,
P.

Paradise fish would be your best bet. They grow a bit bigger than bettas so you'd have to adjust tank size accordingly, but they're hardy and (from what I've heard) are fine in temps down to 5 degrees C! So room temperature should be adequate.

but if you're in the UK no tropical fish will survive in an unheated tank
Thats not true, as long as the room temp. doesn't flunctuate much, most centrally heated houses have a temperature fine for tropicals. All a heater *really* does is regulate the temperature...

That's all very well if you have your heat on all the time but I, foe, do not. So the temp in my house can fluctuate a great deal. I would imagine that applies to alot of homes too as most people don't leave their heat all day whilst out or all night while sleeping. It's cheaper, in the long run, to just have a heater running, and so much safer.
Judging by what they were saying I would question the size of the tanks in question too. I'd hate a poor paradise fish to end up living in a 2 gallon tank.
I guess we simply have differing opinions on this eh. While you may be technically right I prefer to go with my (rather extensive) gut and although they may well be ok in temps much lower then most would expect it doesn't mean they'd be comfy.
Hugs,
P.

Paradisefish do fine at room temperature. Bettas, like most other gouramies, should NOT be kept at room temperature. I know a lot of people keep bettas at lower temps but this does have a negative effect on the fish, slowing down their metabolic rate and weakening their immune system. Also, I don't agree with keeping even bettas in very small tanks. None the less, if there's a fish you can keep in the same manner as your average betta, it's the paradisefish. And paradisefish will survive most conditions, being exceptionaly hardy, though they won't thrive in a small, understimulating environment such as an empty bowl (just as a betta can't realy thrive in such circumstances either).

I would say my bettas tank is around 70 F right now and is basically always like that, getting warmer in the day hours.

Basically, it just needs to be unfiltered and a smaller tank 3-5 gallons/

70 deg F is still too low for your average gourami and is actualy low for a betta as well (considering all these fish preffer the upper 70's or lower 80's).

Anyway, you could just about manage a paradisefish (males are territorial and solitary and therefore better suited to a small volume than females) in a 5 gallon and you wouldn't need a heater or filter.

However, have you considered that you could keep various other very small fish, without a heater, if you simply added an airstone? You don't need a filter to cycle a tank and the airstone would be enough to provide oxygen. Then all you need is a fish that's not overly-active, stays small and can handle lower temps. The first thing that comes to mind is the moquito fish (heterandria formosa). They get to only three quarters of an inch and, being livebearers, are also easy to sex and breed. They'd be absolutely fine in a 2-3 gallon (or even a little smaller) as long as the temp. doesn't drop too low and as long as some aeration is provided (seeing as they can't breathe air like the labyrinths can). If you get a 5 gallon for them, you could actualy keep quite a few - or at least a trio that you could breed...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back