Betta acting weird

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BleuTheBetta

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello. Bleu has been acting slightly weird, and I'm kinda scared for him.
Living info:
- 2.5 gallon tank (upgrading to a 5 gal once the new tank is cycled)
- water testing kit coming within 1 day (so I don't know water levels yet)
- Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Fish food (pellets)
- 10Watt heater preset to 78
- TopFin EF-S filter
- filter cartilages changed every 2.5ish weeks

Symptoms:
- Hiding either behind filter or behind plant most of the day (except for when I come into the room, he paces until I come over)
- gets 3 pebbles am & pm, this morning he ate 2 and chewed up & spit one out so much that it sank, and tonight he only ate 1 pebble.

What do I do?

You state that the heater was preset to 78. Have you checked the water temperature with a thermometer? Presets are not always accurate.

While hiding out behind the heater could be a sign of low water temperature there also may not be enough hideouts for the beastie. How well is the tank planted and what other decor is in the tank? Also, do you have any floating plants? Been probably 50+ years since I've had a beta but, if memory serves, they appreciate floating plants.

You state that the heater was preset to 78. Have you checked the water temperature with a thermometer? Presets are not always accurate.

While hiding out behind the heater could be a sign of low water temperature there also may not be enough hideouts for the beastie. How well is the tank planted and what other decor is in the tank? Also, do you have any floating plants? Been probably 50+ years since I've had a beta but, if memory serves, they appreciate floating plants.
I will check the temp now. I do not have many plants in my tank. I have a resting leaf + 1 large plant. the tank I'm buying is coming with multiple more plants. I ordered a floating plant ~3 days ago, and It should be here soon!
Thank you for your reply! I will take everything into account :D
I have learned alot since I bought my fish and tank, I am continuing to learn as I go. Thank you again for your reply <3

I don't think the behaviour is weird. The tank is small, so his choices are limited. He's an ambush predator, so they do tend to find spots and hang out. You also have a power filter, and he probably has large fins that make swimming tiring, especially when he is out of a cup for the first time. He needs time to get into shape and develop muscle tone.

The food? Feed less.

I don't think the behaviour is weird. The tank is small, so his choices are limited. He's an ambush predator, so they do tend to find spots and hang out. You also have a power filter, and he probably has large fins that make swimming tiring, especially when he is out of a cup for the first time. He needs time to get into shape and develop muscle tone.

The food? Feed less.
Thank you so much, that helps alot.
How much should I feed then?

See how he does on 2 or 3 pellets a day. Try to get 2 other brands, and rotate them for variety. One food isn't good.

He evolved eating bugs that land on the water, and no hunter gets its prey every day. I used to feed my Bettas once a day, and sparingly, with one fast day per week. They lived around 3-5 years most of the time, so it worked. Some went longer.

See how he does on 2 or 3 pellets a day. Try to get 2 other brands, and rotate them for variety. One food isn't good.

He evolved eating bugs that land on the water, and no hunter gets its prey every day. I used to feed my Bettas once a day, and sparingly, with one fast day per week. They lived around 3-5 years most of the time, so it worked. Some went longer.
Thank you:)

Most reactions

trending

Back