Beta’s Hiding and Acting Strange

Thanks. I have some powder that is meant to reduce the PH to the required level but some indicated a while back that using it was not a good idea. I guess I have nothing to lose now though.
They were more active last night, one in particular and this morning I’ve just checked shin and both have come out to feed but we’re initially under a couple of plants.

• Agree
Reactions: TNG
pH is tied up with GH and KH. If they are high, using a chemical to lower pH will lower it for a while then it will bounce back up.

Do you know your hardness? Some regions of England have hard to vert hard water while others have soft water.

Yes our water here in east London is very hard I did check it a few weeks ago but can’t recall exactly what it was.. I’ll check again.

Edit: Just found it and it’s 15.4DH

Last edited:
In addition I have just got a really good look at one of the fish as it’s been much more active today and I think it has fin rot.. the edges of its fins seem kind of fluffy. So I guess that’s what the problem is and now It’s a case of whether I can treat it successfully and prevent it happening again. The other one is still hiding well away most of the time but looks atm to be ok.

I’ve read that salt is a good way to treat fin rot. Rock salt is mentioned a lot so is there anything particular I need to look out for when getting that. They have plenty on Amazon that I can get tomorrow if I order now.

This one perhaps
Tidmans | Tidmans Rock Salt | 2 X 500G https://amzn.eu/d/1xMdbL8

Last edited:
Here’s a picture where you can hopefully make out the fluffy/fungus like stuff on the fins.

Attachments

• B083C293-8B14-44BD-9A96-8E3342000EC6.jpeg
    B083C293-8B14-44BD-9A96-8E3342000EC6.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 29
That's a very serious fin rot and you'll need more than salt to treat it. I'd use tri-sulfa as it's available here, but don't know what available in the UK. Whatever you use, follow the treatment instruction carefully.

Thanks mate I was worried that might be the case 😞
This is what comes up when I type tri-sulfa..

Interpet Anti Fungus and Finrot – Aquarium Treatment No. 8 https://amzn.eu/d/acvhoX2

There’s some good reviews of it but also some worrying ones which had me wondering whether it’s something I should try.

If I do manage to treat it successfully what would be the approach for me to take to prevent it returning. Would the slightly high PH have caused it and reducing that should prevent it happening again?

Last edited:
The tri-sulfa available here is in the photo below, but I assume the ingredients are similar.

If you decide to use it you’ll need to remove any carbon in the filter (if you have it in your filter), and note that it will affect your beneficial bacteria so you’ll have to watch out for that and keep up with water changes. You’ll know it because your ammonia level will creep up after around 2 days of treatment.

I have success treating white spot but not much else, and I don’t have fin rot so I won’t say how effective tri-sulfa is for fin rot. The problem is we don’t really know what bacteria infecting our fish, so we guess on the course of treatment, the success rates are not good.

I don’t know if pH is the main cause of this fin rot, but we can be sure that poor water quality and the general environment in the tank cause all sort of problems for the fish. pH, GH, ammonia, etc.

A good practice is to observe the fish and take note of any changes in fish behaviour. Large tank is way better than small one because the water quality is a lot more stable in large tank, although I understand that not everyone has room for a large tank.

All the best.

Attachments

• _Tri.jpg
    _Tri.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 16
Many thanks for the advice. I’m not confident of saving these two which sucks. One looks really bad this morning with the rot really accelerating. It seems to have taken hold so fast because two days ago I didn’t see any of the fluffiness/fungus at all.

Just not sure how I can prevent similar going forward if I decide to get another fish if these don’t make it. What’s confusing me is that I have checked the state of the water regularly and everything has been fine. Only the PH has been a little high so can only assume it’s that and the general hardness of our water which there’s not a lot I can do about I guess.

You may want to try Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) rather than bettas in hard water. Like the betta, there should only be one of them in a tank as they are aggressive.
Look up Seriouslyfish.com for their water requirements. A 60L tank may suit it better and a weekly water change will help too.
If the bettas don’t survive, I’d disinfect the tank before using it again. I prefer to use salt to disinfect, then drain the tank, let it dry and leave it alone for a week or so. Others prefer to use bleach. You’ll then have to cycle the tank again, whether fish in or fish out.

I’ve ordered some treatment for fin rot but it does not arrive until tomorrow. Can I still use the rock salt today or should I not do both?

I’ve checked the water readings again today and everything appears to be ok including the PH now.

They are now both staying at the top of the tank by the arm of the filter. Is that because they are struggling for oxygen? That being the case what is the solution?

I'd only use one treatment, don't really think the salt will do much at this stage.
If you have the filter or air bubbles going I'd expect there's enough oxygen. If they need oxygen I expect them to breathe air at the water surface.

Ok I’ll wait for the treatment tomorrow, hope it comes early. The filter is working away and water pumping through but they are constantly up at the top with their heads almost out of the water hiding in the gaps in the filter arm😞

I'm not sure tri-sulpha is available in the UK without prescription.
The interpet med used to contain just phenoxyethanol; it may still have just that ingredient.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back