Best way to deal with pregnant platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So, after I've been watching my main tank like a hawk, setting up breeding traps and buying a while new tank set up for my babies because I didn't think any would survive I've today found another two babies in my main tank swimming around happily. I'm going to leave them to it. They seem a bit bigger than the babies I caught so don't know if they are a little older or they have just grown more because there will be more food knocking about.

I had 14 red eye tetra fry survive in my tetra tank over several mouths. Tetra are egg layers so first the eggs have to survive not being eaten then the tetra fry. I left them all in the tank. They kept on showing up one or maybe 2 at a time every couple of weeks. Tetra are suppose to eat eggs and fry. That is when I had my LOTR castle tank which had several dark chambers in my 55 gallon tank. Not so sure if any fry will be that lucky in my sunken forest.

My sword fish breed like clockwork. So far I only have one that has managed to make it to adulthood, the others have been devoured. You will get a few that survive nature but your chances are always better if you can move them. Also allows you to target feed so they can get more food and grow healthier.

My sword fish breed like clockwork. So far I only have one that has managed to make it to adulthood, the others have been devoured. You will get a few that survive nature but your chances are always better if you can move them. Also allows you to target feed so they can get more food and grow healthier.
That's what I thought, I found and caught 5 and they are now in their own tank. 4 are doing well but 1 has stayed quite small and doesn't really leave the bottom of the tank so I don't think he'd survive if I put him back in the main tank. I did however find another 3 fry in my main tank that must have been excellent at hiding and they are quite big and confidently swimming around in open water now. I have lots of plant growth in my tank so think that helped but my female platy is fat again today and it's pretty much a month since these last fry were born so think I might be getting some more

That's nature for you.

Be careful with your one smaller fry. If it doesn't grow properly it may be stunted and I'm sad to say might need to be culled. See if you can feed it up.

That's nature for you.

Be careful with your one smaller fry. If it doesn't grow properly it may be stunted and I'm sad to say might need to be culled. See if you can feed it up.
He doesn't look the same as all the others. He can't swim properly and just sort of scrabbles over the bottom to get around and then spends most of his time hiding in the gravel. Poor little guy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back