Best way to deal with pregnant platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
15928339421908796791859094674308.jpg

Hi, I've got make and female platys in my main tank ( above) and currently have 6 fry in my smaller tank. My question is, if my platy gets pregnant again how do I best handle her when she's ready to give birth? Do I put her in my empty breeding trap? Put her in my fry tank and hope she doesn't munch on her current babies or just leave her in her normal tank and watch little a lunatic 24 hours a day to look out for babies. Thanks

Attachments

• 15928340077584056884499366676280.jpg
    15928340077584056884499366676280.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 73
Hi, I've got make and female platys in my main tank ( above) and currently have 6 fry in my smaller tank. My question is, if my platy gets pregnant again how do I best handle her when she's ready to give birth? Do I put her in my empty breeding trap? Put her in my fry tank and hope she doesn't munch on her current babies or just leave her in her normal tank and watch little a lunatic 24 hours a day to look out for babies. Thanks
You can keep her in the main tank the fry will hide in the plants. Plus moving her would just be stressful on her.

No need to go overboard unless you have a very big tank waiting to be filled. She is going to have lots more fry and in a few months the fry will be reproducing too. Some fry will survive, so I would be inclined to leave her be and let nature take its course.

No need to go overboard unless you have a very big tank waiting to be filled. She is going to have lots more fry and in a few months the fry will be reproducing too. Some fry will survive, so I would be inclined to leave her be and let nature take its course.
I know you are right but it feels so mean

I felt the same way but @seangee is right. I had mollies and they over ran my 2-10 gallon tanks with fry, then I had chilicids and they over ran my 55 gallon tank with fry, then I had red eyed tetra which start over running my 55 gallon tetra tank. Then I got guppies and in 3 months 8 of them over ran my 30 gallon tank with fry. They breed like rabbits. I wish my other tetras would be like that. I like fry but it gets out of hand really fast if you let it.

I like you tank, the anacharis looks great but it will not take long for it to get over crowded with fry.

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave her to it and if I come across any fry next time I'll just fish them out.. I'll leave her to it after that. I've only got 6 fry now so I can handle a few more yet I might end up finding a home for the females and just keeping males. Btw. There is no heater in my tank. I got them as temperate fish. Don't know if that makes any difference to reproduction rates?

Unfortunately you just have to watch like a lunatic!

It is fun having live bearer fry but as suggested, tanks fill up quick, offer to give them away or help your LFS by giving them some extra stock??

No heater just means the fish will grow on a tad slower, but overall no difference.

Platys are best kept at 65-77 degrees so in the winter you will probably need a heater. As far as temperature and breeding I do not think it matters. I am trying to breed tetras and for them temperature and water conditions are very important to meet. Platys and mollies breed like rabbits.

What's an LFS? I'm in North West England

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back