Best Way To Clean/change Filter Pads?

NeWcS

New Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Colorado
When ever I take the filter pad out of my HOB filter to either wash it or change it clouds up the water with crap. I tried hanging a net in front of the out-take to catch some of the stuff that came out but it only got the bigger stuff. Was thinking about making some sort of a net out of pantyhose. What do most people do to keep this from happening?

-Jay
 
Easiest way is to take the whole filter unit out of the tank rahter than just the media, this way you can clean the media in old tank water and clean the impellor at the same time

Andy
 
That seems like it could cause a real mess. Is this how most do it?

-Jay
 
I gravel vac into a bucket, remove the whole filter and place in said bucket. Take out the media compartment and leave the sponges loose in the bucket and place the casing on a towel next to it. Squeeze the media gently in the bucket until the water is cloudy shouldn't take too much. Pour away the bucket of water keeping the sponges in there, then gravel vac again into the bucket, wash the impellor abit check for any snags, then squeeze the sponges again and put every back together and back into the tank. It sounds labourious but its actually quite quick and easy once you do it a couple of times. Make sure you don't be too rough with the media as you can deplete the bacteria if you are also make sure they are always wet with old tank water. You can use a pillow case around the filter if you want to really be anal but a good gravel vacc should eliminate the need.
 
Some good ideas. I think im going to try and make a net out of pantyhose. I use a python to clean my tank so I dont really have a bucket. If my pantyhose idea fails(Im sure it will..lol) than I will try your idea. Seems like it would work well and you wouldn't take away to much good bacteria. Thx.

-Jay

PS: Crown royal ownz over Patron :) :) :)
 
Nah patron is best because its affordable as well as very drinkable. The blanco/silver is excellent for margheritas and the reposada is a good tequila to drink with friends, I have tried nicer tequilas but I definately think patron has the pricing best for my budget without losing quality.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top