Best Way To Check Tanks Temp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was just wondering today about how accurate those stick on temperature things are that go on the side of the tank. I have four tanks so I have always used them just because they were cheap, but how good really are they?

Another thing about them that I don't know why I never asked before is how you read them correctly. They change colors, for example the 76 will be blue and the 78 will be green, but what one is the tanks actual temp?

What do you use? Do you recommend I use something else? It needs to be within budget though, since I have four tanks.

I've always used them and they seem to be accurate. I was told that if two colours are lit up, like you described, then the temperature is in between (so, about 77). The other option is actual stick thermomoters that stick on the inside of the glass - they may be more accurate, but they're also a bit harder to read and I think a little more expensive. But I've not used them myself, so can't be sure.

I have an inside thermometre. I have been told that the outside stick on ones are susceptable to room temperature as they read the surface of the glass. The inside ones have the exact temps instead of colours too

I used to use those stick on ones but found they can be out by about 3oC (probably reading my room temp and not tank) so I changed to a mercury one instead.

I have the inside digital ones, more expensive at first but worth it in the end, gives temps like 76.5 or 77.1 or whatever.
It is a probe that sticks via a sucker to the inside glass then a thin lead to the digital readout outside the tank also stuck on via a sucker.

I have the inside digital ones, more expensive at first but worth it in the end, gives temps like 76.5 or 77.1 or whatever.
It is a probe that sticks via a sucker to the inside glass then a thin lead to the digital readout outside the tank also stuck on via a sucker.
this is what i use also, much more accurate

+1 for the digital ones. They only cost £3-4 on fleabay...
Cheers

Danny B

The stick on actual thermometer only cost me 1.20 USD at the lfs and was actually the exact same price as the black bar thermometer. It's probably not necessary to get additional ones unless you know the reading on your black bar is totally off.

To answer the question, the green colour gives the temperature.
The digital ones are a lot better and there are also heaters with a digital thermometer integrated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back