Best sinking fish food to get?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been having swim bladder problems with my fish for a while, and it's come to my attention that it is most likely caused by the way I'm feeding them. They get tropical flakes once a day, fast on Sundays, and occasional peas (I know they need more plant matter, I'm growing duckweed for them to eat). I need to get some sinking pellets that they don't have to gulp at the surface for. Gulping flakes at the surface causes them to swallow air, which clogs their stomachs/intestines. What's the best brand you recommend? I have two goldfish and two platies. Thanks!

My fish like fish like Wardley Shrimp Pellets best of all that I’ve tried. Just bought more on Amazon
57C0C038-E34D-4E03-9934-6D1883259DB0.jpeg

I always look for quality in fish foods; going by the ingredients, there are some that clearly would likely aggravate conditions like you mentioned. "Swim bladder" issue is often a symptom caused by some other disease or water quality problem. I suspect that actual "swim bladder" disease is very rare. But that doesn't matter, so to answer your question, you want veggie-based foods for the goldfish, but omnivorous foods will be OK too (for goldfish and platies). There are "goldfish" types, and there are freshwater/livebearer types. I've no idea if there is a significant difference here, but if this were me I would want to use the most appropriate species-directed foods.

Omega One brand are high quality, and they make sinking food and flake foods and (I think) pellet foods. New Life Spectrum is another quality brand. These two are available locally for me so I stay with them, but there are some other quality brands that other members will undoubtedly mention. I also use Bug Bites, primarily for my tropicals because insects and insect larvae is the primary food for most carnivorous and omnivorous tropicals.

If you grab a pinch of food, hold it under the water for a few seconds, and then release, it will slowly sink. I use this method to feed all my fish, just because of all the air they swallow if I do it the conventional way.

I never knew feeding at the surface could create problems. I have several species that so feed. Hmmm …..
I will have to Google this.

If you grab a pinch of food, hold it under the water for a few seconds, and then release, it will slowly sink. I use this method to feed all my fish, just because of all the air they swallow if I do it the conventional way.
Just tried holding flakes under water and a fish nipped my finger or bumped into it with considerable momentum for a little fish.
😹😹😹😹
It was a cichlid feeding frenzy so I don’t know which one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back