Best peaceful yellow fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Mint

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, Iā€™m trying to find something yellow I can put with my betta. Any fish. Has to be diurnal. I do already have a lemon bristlenose pleco in the stocking, but Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re hiders and I want to actually see them. My only other idea for a yellow, non-nippy fish is a Platy, but they need high ph, so theyā€™re out.
I might end up with a plakat or female (Longfin, but still short-finned) betta, so nipping might not be a big problem. However, Iā€™d still prefer a non-nipping fish to a nippy one.
So basically, what yellow, non-nippy, acidic-water fish can you recommend for me?
Side note: they also canā€™t be extremely huge. This is a 60 gallon breeder.

I wouldn't put a fancy finned Betta into a 60 gallon tank - have you considered any of their more natural relatives?

In terms of yellow fish Lemon Tetras or Yellow Phantoms feel like they could be a good fit with some Betta species? The other one I was thinking was Golden Wonder Killi but they might clash with a Betta species in the top third.

Wills

It can't be another Betta, plakat or female.

Yellow is a tough one. It usually goes with silver and is sunlight camouflage, and sunlight fish like fast moving water and bright light - the opposite needs to a Betta. There are some yellow killies (I would not suggest golden wonders because as @Wills noted, they want to own the same turf as a Betta does) buyt they are hard to find rarities.

You've picked a colour nature doesn't much like.

I wouldn't put another fish (of any colour) in with a Betta. If you want a community tank, buy community fish. Bettas are not community fish, I don't care what anyone says or how successful some people have been with sororities etc..

I wouldn't put another fish (of any colour) in with a Betta. If you want a community tank, buy community fish. Bettas are not community fish, I don't care what anyone says or how successful some people have been with sororities etc..
Sometimes it works, until it doesn't. The question someone has to ask themselves is, are they prepared to someday come home to dead fish and a betta working on its alibi?

This inflatable yellow fish is really peaceful. And can be used in both marine and freshwater...
riinfis24-yellow-w__1__41994.1648804919.jpg

Sometimes it works, until it doesn't. The question someone has to ask themselves is, are they prepared to someday come home to dead fish and a betta working on its alibi?
Exactly, it's just not worth the risk. As fishkeepers, we have the moral responsibility to do our best regarding the health and wellbeing of the creatures we look after. And those who say, "it's just a fish" are more than likely in the wrong hobby.

I wonder if those people would also choose to home a breed of dog known for its high prey drive with small rabbits and such? Just because today they're tolerating each other doesn't mean that tomorrow that dog won't won't grab it round the neck and give it a good ragging before ripping it to shreds...and even if tomorrow it doesn't happen, that poor rabbit or cat will forever live in fear knowing its toast

I wouldn't put a fancy finned Betta into a 60 gallon tank - have you considered any of their more natural relatives?

In terms of yellow fish Lemon Tetras or Yellow Phantoms feel like they could be a good fit with some Betta species? The other one I was thinking was Golden Wonder Killi but they might clash with a Betta species in the top third.

Wills
I have considered the imbellis species, but I donā€™t want to support wild-catching fish in any way. Besides, Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re too shy. I might do a plakat, but Iā€™m really worried about them: in my experience putting bettas in community tanks, the only one that didnā€™t work out was the one I tried with a plakat betta. He acted nice at the store, then I introduced him and he swam directly for the glowlight tetras. Was immediately netted out and tossed into the backup tank. I may do a female betta, as my local pet store sells these absolutely beautiful females, and that would work well too.

Lemon tetras sound pretty good: theyā€™re a fairly common betta tankmate, and donā€™t seem nippy. The only thing Iā€™m worried about is them completely disappearing in the greenery, as theyā€™re kind of translucent fish.

It can't be another Betta, plakat or female.

Yellow is a tough one. It usually goes with silver and is sunlight camouflage, and sunlight fish like fast moving water and bright light - the opposite needs to a Betta. There are some yellow killies (I would not suggest golden wonders because as @Wills noted, they want to own the same turf as a Betta does) buyt they are hard to find rarities.

You've picked a colour nature doesn't much like.
Ah, crap. Iā€™ll just do lemon tetras, I guess. Those would probably make good enough tankmates. Maybe a yellow betta if I can find them. I donā€™t want to deal with live food for a killi until I can successfully grow my own blackworms.

I do have a plan to build a backup tank into my stand, so if I pick some extremely bad betta, Iā€™ll toss him in there and try it with another betta.

Yes!

Iā€™ve always wanted to keep those things!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back