Best filters discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

charlotte1211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am currently looking at getting a new filter for my 28Litre (7.3 gallon) tank. I currently have the Interpet CF 1 filter however I feel like it is slightly too powerful for the tank (may have gone over kill with the filter) I have tried to put extra sponge in the filter but itā€™s not slowing the flow as I would have hoped. I have a marina i25 filter in my other betta tank. I would just buy another one of these but I donā€™t think it would work for this larger tank.

I was looking at sizing down and getting the Interpet CF mini?

Iā€™ve go a small Eheim (Iā€™ll find the proper size later) in my 25 ltr. Itā€™s got a variable flow and on the lowest setting is perfect for the tank and my Betta.

I have the smallest size Eheim Pickup filter in my 23 litre tank, which might be the one NannaLou means as well. It has an adjustable flow, both direction and speed. And it has just a sponge as its medium which is much better than the carbon cartridges in the Interpet CF1.

Another alternative for a small tank is an air powered sponge filter, like this
I used to have the smallest one powered by an Eheim air pump when I had a betta.

Thank you for your suggestions Iā€™ll have to have alook into this! I have just seen they do a larger one of the filters I have in my other tank.

We personally prefer the fluval (u) range of filters as we can swap water flow from aeration to blasting onto the bottom for half a day prior to filter change day (Sundayā€™s) then any crud building up gets sucked into the filters and cleaned out when swapped over.
It all depends upon your setup I guess and also what you prefer to work with in filtration. The upstairs gourami tank doesnā€™t need as much aeration as they can breath from surface.....tho the plants do need the extra infusion of air.
Upstairs U2 (not the band)
Downstairs U4
šŸ˜‰

We personally prefer the fluval (u) range of filters as we can swap water flow from aeration to blasting onto the bottom for half a day prior to filter change day (Sundayā€™s) then any crud building up gets sucked into the filters and cleaned out when swapped over.
It all depends upon your setup I guess and also what you prefer to work with in filtration. The upstairs gourami tank doesnā€™t need as much aeration as they can breath from surface.....tho the plants do need the extra infusion of air.
Upstairs U2 (not the band)
Downstairs U4
šŸ˜‰
We always used to use the fluvals and would swear by them usually. However in the past two years we have had nothing but bad luck we did have a U4 and it broke within 2 months luckily got it replaced then it broke again a further month later! So we decided to cut our losses and bought a different type for our goldfish tank.
I had to run out and grab an Interpet water fall type of filter CF mini so the water flow wouldnā€™t be too strong within the tank he seem to be doing miles better with this one!

I tried a fluval U1 in my 10 gallon. Wouldn't recommend it. It suctions to the glass but you have to take it off the glass to open the lid. The grill on the side is too large for small fish, and the filter foam doesn't fill out the cavity for it. Found it hard to maintain.

We always used to use the fluvals and would swear by them usually. However in the past two years we have had nothing but bad luck we did have a U4 and it broke within 2 months luckily got it replaced then it broke again a further month later! So we decided to cut our losses and bought a different type for our goldfish tank.
I had to run out and grab an Interpet water fall type of filter CF mini so the water flow wouldnā€™t be too strong within the tank he seem to be doing miles better with this one!
Heck you didnā€™t have much luck with Fluval it seems, had ours six months now and yes you have to pull it forward to get to filters and that is fine for me. Mrs said was hard to clean so showed her easy way and no more moaning lol

Heck you didnā€™t have much luck with Fluval it seems, had ours six months now and yes you have to pull it forward to get to filters and that is fine for me. Mrs said was hard to clean so showed her easy way and no more moaning lol
Its a shame as we have been using Fluval for the past 8 years! same thing with the lights we paid Ā£90 for the RGB lights for the goldfish tank was suppose to be fully submersible (we didn't put the light under water though) It lasted all of 3 months before It packed in and just wouldn't even turn on! I had no idea what I was doing wrong i cleaned he light every week when doing our regular cleaning. I had noticed even though the light was above the water the light had let some water in which I think is what killed it off!

Check out the baby Hailea filters they are really cheap but are very reliable. I have used them for years. I used to always have a back up filter just in case one failed but they never did.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back