Best Filter For 30 Gal

CKutz

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
534
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Chester/Lebanon, PA
ahh i think my filter's done for..
i was scrubbing some algae off the glass today and it started making this awful grinding type noise. it's a HOB filter. I took the pipe out and check if the propeller was ok. but it still did it.

I've got two 10 gal. tank filters i'm gonna put on it in the mean time, and transfer the media. but I don't think they are adequate.

I'm going to take the filter apart and see if something just needs cleaned or something. but i kinda doubt it. it's pretty old.

so I figured if this one is shot i might as well look for something better.
I'm tight on money though. so don't bother recommending the most expensive thing around.
I'm probably gonna look on ebay for whatever style is suggested. maybe i'll resort to my lfs, as they have a 30% off 1 item "midweek" special.

but please some suggestions.
economic, and efficient.

Thanks a lot!
 
Hi CKutz:)

If you sucked up sand or other gritty substance in the filter, it might have damaged the impeller, or it could just need to be given a good cleaning. Take it apart and swab out the well it sits in. If it is damaged, you can often get a replacement in a good lfs for a lot less money than it would cost you for a whole new filter. I've replaced many AquaClear impellers before I gave up on them.
 
yes it does seem to be the impeller
the unit still moves water all the same, but makes this awful groaning noise..

I couldn't really figure out what should be cleaned out, but i'll try using a few q-tips or something to get in that whole

the impeller and magnet move freely enough it seems

is there a way to detach the part that the impeller sits in? cause it's kinda difficult to get down in there

Thanks a lot for your quick reply inchworm. i'll go fiddle with it somemore..when i washed everything out and it still did it, figured it must just be shot, and gave up..but i'll get back at it

is there a way to tell if the impeller is shot?
 
What make & model? With most impellers the plastic impeller itself slides on a shaft, above a cylindrical magnet. The either have interlocking tabs, or a tab & groove arrangement, this is one part that wears. If the impeller does not lock down solid on the magnet then it needs to be replaced, often with smaller filters the impeller, magnet, & shaft are sold as one unit.

Some filters use a ceramic shaft, these can break. If the shaft is in two pieces, this is a problem. There are some with small rubber seals that act as a bushing on the ends of the shaft, almost like a tiny rubber cup that the end of the shaft fits in. If these wear or are lost you will get the sound you have mentioned. Sometimes these go unseen at one end, as they are in the case itself.
 
it's a whipser power filter 40

the impeller and magnet are connected
they do slide up and down on a little metal rod.
the rod does have two rubber bushings on both sides.

I have sand substrate. and this happened while my arm was going in and out of the tank while using an algae scrubber.

it sorta sounds like if you start the filter and there's not enough water in it, and it makes that rough churning noise...but it never stops doing it, even once water is flowing through.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top