Best filter current killing method I've found

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

just a thought.....

if you are worried about sharp egdes,
take a length of air hose (same length as the edge)and carefully slice down one side of it with a craft knife.

not tried it but it should be easy to slot ithe edge of the plastic bottle into it...

hope you understand what I mean,I'm not the best person in the world at trying to explain things

lol, whos labyrinth?
Bettas are anabantoids, they can breathe air directly from the atmosphere with the help of their labyrinth organ XD
EDIT:Sorry, i just have a habbit or correcting the tinniest of all mistakes XD
It wont happen again!!! :D

Just a little update, my original current blockers are still in place and doing a great job. Both of my little 3g Eclipse tanks have cycled now (with the blockers in place) but they also have bio-wheel systems so that probably helped. Bettas and plants seem quite content :). Both have pretty nice bubble nests going too :wub:

anyone come up with a thing to put over bubbles yet... i have a box filter powered by a airstone and it moves freckles' water alot!

Fishwatcher, I've only ever kept bettas and am pretty amateurish to what is needed for other fish, so I'm not completely sure on the answer to your question. I do know that it's the same amount of water coming out through the output, but it's dispersed to the sides and doesn't fall straight down into the tank (creating an underwater current). I *think* someone mentioned putting a blocker into a community tank that had a betta in it and I don't remember them having a problem but I can't say for sure. Perhaps if it was a worry, you could also add an air stone?

As far as blocking movement on the air stone, I don't have any answer on that one.

I posted about this before in a reply to someone else's thread, but I decided to give it a shot today instead of the filter foam/nylon methods I've tried so far. It works beautifully. Here's the page that gives the instructions:

http://www.petfish.net/currentkill.htm

This is an old, but interesting thread. I used another method to obstruct the current in my Eclipse 3. This is much simpler than what I did. The how-to link is out of date.

Here's the new link: http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Your...currentkill.php

Forgot to thank the OP for the great info on cutting the output- Thank you!

On a side note though, is anyone else having problems with the plastic shifting after setting the hood down? I have an Eclipse 3 and I can only seem to get half of the current cut, since the plastic sort of gets scooted to the left when I close the hood over it. I've tried taping it and nothing seems to work. :unsure:

Edit: I've since figured it out. Gave it a good old fashioned trimming and now it's working like a charm! :wub:

Well that's a realy nice thing to add to a filter. I wish i had done that
when i had bettas.. They would have had an easier life.. I was
trying some floating stick thing and it failed.. Thank you for posting the
link, wheelyfeet.

I know this thread is old. But I recently got a 2.5 gal for my betta and i want to do this with my filter, but the link no longer works! Can anyone tell me how to do this? My little Patton would be oh so happy to know!

Thanks! :D

Anyone concerned about sharp edges after cutting the plastic, i used sandpaper to smooth out the cut plastic edge.
I am using two of these and they work great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back