Best Book For Identification.

Tiger Tiger

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
326
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
ENGLAND
Hi

Being new to tropical and marine its hard to keep up with species , if their predators, live bearers , what size etc.

Is there a good encyclopedia of all the fish you can breed or have etc etc.

Its xmas and it would be an ideal Xmas present for my kids to get me.

I have books on set up etc etc.....I just need that species identification , i think its hard to no for newbies to pick fish that will grow with others and how big they can get.

I have been to 3 marine shops and to be honest only 1 knows what they are doing. I think the other two would sell you anything just for a sale.
 
Baensch Atlas is excellent, I've got Volumes 1,2&3 (who knows one day I might read them ;) )
Also I have the Axelrod Atlas and the Axelrod Mini Atlas, whilst the Atlas is massive, I don't think it's as good as Baensch :no:

I also had the Baensch Marine atlas vol 1-3 and they appeared pretty good, but as I decided against going saltie, I flogged them.

The Baensch will generally set you back between £10-£15 each unless you keep an eye out on fleabay for the odd bargain, the Axelrod mini atlas can normally be got for around a tenner (inc postage) off fleabay but the full atlas is more.

If you're feeling really flush, the Bede atlas is meant to be the one, but it's about £130 at amazon :o

Arfie
 
Out of interest how much did you pay for the full size Axelrod atlas?
 
Out of interest how much did you pay for the full size Axelrod atlas?
D'ya know, I can't remember :blink: I think I stole it for about £12 including postage, but really I can't recall :dunno: Middle age senility strikes again :lol:

Arfie
 
just for IDing fish the Baensch photo index (1-5)
is by far the best referance.
once you have that you will have every photo published in all 5 atlasi (is that the plural of atlas :S )
it does however lack the indepth info that each individual atlas contains
 
Atlasi sounds like a dirty word to me, though I'm not quite sure why... :lol:
 
I don't know if it's the "best" book for identification but I am impressed with my 500 Freshwater Aquarium Fish book. I like it since it's dimension is small (6.5" x 6.5"), has 528 pages and contains great pictures along with concise information about any fish that I would probably ever ever own. :fish:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top