Best approach for a corydoras quarantine

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I asked around other keepers and most have same experience with all but albino. Albinos are not shy cause they are basically blind (which btw is cruel) and thus not that scared.
They also mentioned cycles of behavior, resting, finding food, sometimes near surface, but most often scared and skittish. So maybe we just want miracles :)
1 They aren't blind
2 Why would that be cruel if it was true ?
3 My Albino Aeneus were more bold than their bronze counterparts. Not scared of skittish at all. My albino Peppereds and albino Sterbai exact the same. So this ibfo about albinos simply isn't correct.

So it has been over a week since my 10 corries from the quarantine with the 10 in my main tank and they are behaving quite oddly still.
Since the beginning they sort of deparated, the main ones are sitting under log, some of the new ones and some of the old ones are sitting on the right side near the glass and the heater.
They still glass surf, but a combo of old and new ones, in groups of three or five and the old ones didn't do that much. Unless food was involved they just sat there.
Wondering if it is still stress behavior and why they are not more together

Nothing to worry abouyt. The individuals of each species of Corydoras do often separate, you cannot expect them to "be together" most of the time. The new ones are likely still adjusting to the new environment.

My trilineatus cories or whatever they are, are 2 groups. the 2 remaining from the blotch infection I treated for after losing a couple, and the 5 I got to keep them company after they were healthy. I'll see 5 together and 2 together and the baby alternates between hiding and running around. They seem to be Cliche-y.

Is this happy-fat otocinclus do you think?
IMG-0565.jpg

IMG-0567.jpg

Sadly it was not. I am considering treating the tank with something preventative, but I dont know what, so I did my daily 5l water change but this time I have added salt to the new water. Small dosage
I need to consider maybe it is the food quality that I am providing? I see them grazing on the anubias algae but all the diatom algae is all gone, despite me having the light on for 12 hours now to promote growth.
Tomorrow I will provide a piece of nori sheet, will see...

Otos will greedily eat common green algae and diatoms. I have seen two otos clear a 90g tank of these within a few days. They will not eat what I term "problem" algae, like black brush/beard, etc.

It is advisable to get them used to eating from algae-based foods as soon as you can, so that when natural food becomes scarce they will still be able to obtain nourishment. Being herbivore, only plant-based sinking disks are suited. I had good luck with Omega One Veggie Rounds, and this same manufacturer also made a spirulina-based sinking disk.

That covers food. As for the death (presumably) of the oto, do nothing. You've no idea what may have caused this, at least I don't have, and treating the tank with anything will add stress to all the fish and unless this "treatment" is something absolutely necessary this will only make things worse.

They already seem to readily accept sinking pellets (spirulina) and vegetables, but still. I will look into maybe spirulina and chlorella tablets from the pharmacy, and combine

They already seem to readily accept sinking pellets (spirulina) and vegetables, but still. I will look into maybe spirulina and chlorella tablets from the pharmacy, and combine

If you use a quality brand of aquarium fish algae/spirulina-based food, nothing else is necessary. I would be concerned as to what is in anything from a human pharmacy. There is no need to go down this road. But I cannot stress enough that the quality of the fish food is important. Many of these sinking so-called algae foods are full of cereal meals that clog fish intestines. Omega One is not, they use whole spirulina, algae, fish.

Omega One is not available here, I have Söll Organix Kelp which looking at it, is a lot of protein for an algae wafer. But the ingredients sound similar like Omega One but not sure about ratio

Omega One is not available here, I have Söll Organix Kelp which looking at it, is a lot of protein for an algae wafer. But the ingredients sound similar like Omega One but not sure about ratio

I looked this up but it seems to be intended for humans, I would be worried about other ingredients. Do you have any brands of algae-base or kelp-base or herbivore-base sinking fish foods? It might help to look at their ingredients.

I used to get noni for my Regal tang. I think that is what they call the stuff you wrap sushi in?

There are 20 aminoacids which make the proteins in different combinations.
So comparing "proteins" is useless (even percentages).

The protein that can be digested by one animal can't be digested / processed by another.

So using human food cause it is basically an algae (kelp to me) without knowing the exact ingredients as Byron mentioned could be a bad idea.

There are 20 aminoacids which make the proteins in different combinations.
So comparing "proteins" is useless (even percentages).

The protein that can be digested by one animal can't be digested / processed by another.

So using human food cause it is basically an algae (kelp to me) without knowing the exact ingredients as Byron mentioned could be a bad idea.
My regal tang lived to be 9. she also ate romaine lettuce. Nori was for when I ran out of romaine.

My regal tang lived to be 9. she also ate romaine lettuce. Nori was for when I ran out of romaine.
I don't say it isn't any good but the assumptions made about "protein" and "ingredients" aren't correct.

I feed my fish lettuce, brussels sprouts, brocolli, caylyflower etc etc...
You can hardly go wrong with vegs, but you can with "humanmade" spirulinatablets a.s.o.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back