Best And Worst Lfs...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'll share.

Worst - Pet Supplies Plus, Fishkill, NY - This is horrendous. :( Dead fish everywhere. Dyed fish everywhere! About half the time I go to this store (for pet supplies, not fish) they have signs up saying "Fish not for sale, illness" or something similar. The only thing I ever bought from there was my Severum, who was labeled as an Oscar. I brought him home and the next day ICH! Also, I saw Fig-8 Puffers in with Convicts! :( I needed a job and I applied there, and I put that I had fish knowledge (I would have helped with the ich and such, instead of letting the fish suffer) plus this was close to my house but they never called. :(

Worst - Wal-Mart, Fishkill NY - This one is pretty obvious but this was ridiculous! I saw a tank with 9 goldfish. Thing is, there were 9 dead goldfish. These fish were rotting in there for WEEKS! Yes, these tanks were NEVER cleaned until one day somebody finally cleaned them. Also, ich. I wish they would stop selling fish. :(

Best - Pets Place II, Nanuet NY - They have the rarest fish here! I don't have the tanks for them, but I've saw a Red Severum, Red Arowana, Black Arowana. If you like Guppies (though I'm not a fan) they sell REALLY, REALLY nice fancy ones.They are a bit pricey... but the selection is great!

Best - FishTown USA - Ramsey, NJ - Okay, not the best (freshwater) selection, and I had top go twice to like this place, but their plant selection is fantastic! They have a HUGE room with rare plants. If you like Saltwater fish, they have beautiful fish and corals I have seen nowhere else. Also, they have all their Bettas in tanks, rather than those tiny cups. That makes me happy. :D

Please Share!

The worst I saw today funny enough an exotic pet storein wallasey wirral. it had some tanks and the fish were appalling and in terrible condition, i went in there for the snakes which were kept in equally as poor conditions!

one to avoid

worst - cov aquatics. a few dead fish and algae !!!
best - aquatics world uk - quite small but very knowledgable staff

Can I be Bias?? :p

Best:

Maidenhead Aquatics @ Bourne End (of course!!)
Maidenhead Aquatics @ St Albans (One of the largest fish shops i've been to, great choise of everything!)
Maidenhead Aquatics @ Hillingdon (I liked it for the oddballs and HUGE fire eels and rays and suchlike, nice huge display tank with rescued giraffe catfish).

Worst:

Cant remember name but was on a mainstreet in Oxford. Was horrific between words!

Shirley Aquatics, Oxford, god knows how on earth it got a good reputation, i went in, counted 40+ dead neons in a tank and the guy serving neons to a customer just shoved them out the way to scrape out a few live ones! The reptiles were just as bad, dead bearded dreagons, dead leopard gecksos, emaciated animals, dead bloated rats and mice on show for all the little kiddies and lunchtime on a saturday!

CONTROVERSIAL?

The Goldfish Bowl. Thought it was a bit sh*te really!! They had fish in tanks FAR too small, they had fish in stock that should NOT be in the trade like Batfish the layout of the shop was just plain scarey and over crowded. It was dirty and the member of staff i spoke to was beyond being a moron!! It wasnt even a part time weekend member of staff! I asked what was going in the big display tank oposite the goldfish (bout 8ft long?) and he replies "oh.. really COOL things like sharks n stuff!" and i said "oh... right, well what kind of sharks?" and member of staf replied "oh I dont really know, kinda like Silver Sharks, do you know what they are? Well... kinda like a cross between those and red tailed sharks but saltwater ones!" I had to just walk away laughing... He also told me that the Batfish didnt get any more than 5-6 inches tall!

Worst: The complete Petmart. Fish with torn up fins, dead bettas, incorrect labeling. :crazy: Cincinnati, Ohio

Best: Aquarium Adventure. Enourmous store, VERY VERY Excellent customer service, no dead fish, honest, rare fish by the dozens. VERY GOOD!! Colubus, Ohio

Worst: A Walmart I went to a long time ago. Or a Petsmart with a 55 gallon with about 500 feeder goldfish. Like, they were displacing around half the water in the tank.

Best: Big Al's Great workers (My uncle, he's awesome) pretty good selection of fish, HUGE, and I count around three sick fish out of about a thousand in the tanks. Not exaggerating.

Worst - victor aquatics grimsby - they kept spouting complete bull, tiny fish room crammed full of small tanks

Best - maidenhead aquatics- whisby (lincoln) and brigg
Best - pets at home lincoln (outer circle road and tritton road) - Ive never been dissapointed by either shops.

Best

Every MA I have been in (5 so far). Great selection of fish. Knowledgeable staff on the whole (they tried to trouble shoot my long cycle time and didnt once mention bacteria in a bottle or adding more fish!) and the tanks/fish all seem in very good condition.

Worst

World Of Water - Staines
Staff didn't know much about water testing, offering me test strips and not knowing that they didnt test for ammonia.
When I was trying to get served, 2 members of staff were wrestling behind the counter (no, really!).
Lots of dry goods (plastic plants, bottles of water treatments, meds) look like they have encountered water damage, but they remain on the shelves at full price.

Worst: Dobbies - ALWAYS have dead fish; saw fish with parasite worms hanging out of them at the weekend.

Best: Peter Barrats - our Peter Barrats - 99% sell nice healthy looking fish - never had a problem; although last time I was looking there was a lot of white spot.

Betta Fish - Newcastle; in my opinion it's worst as they are so #41#### rude; however their stock generally look ok - although we generally avoid the shop.

Worst-goldfish bowel

best fresh water-maidenhead at weatley
marine- maidenhead at south hinksey

Best: Goldfish bowl in oxford, I dunno how these people are saying it's bad!!
It's in the top 10 retailers in pfk magazine, all the staff there have been working there for over 10 years. Very helpful, good condition, seperate individual betta tanks.

whats wrong with selling bat fish? marine your refering to?

every shop has a member of staff which wont know anything, or knows something differently to whats actually true.

also, whats a few dead fish? its expected! fish can die when stressed from shipping!

this isnt a personal attack on the OP, but i dont think you should be naming and shaming the bad shop, youre damaging a business and your also damaging the economy, at the worst time possible!!

every shop has a member of staff which wont know anything, or knows something differently to whats actually true.

also, whats a few dead fish? its expected! fish can die when stressed from shipping!

this isnt a personal attack on the OP, but i dont think you should be naming and shaming the bad shop, youre damaging a business and your also damaging the economy, at the worst time possible!!

I understand what you mean, I don't mean to do that. They are just stores I wish would treat their fish better. But they always have new stock or are empty tanks when I go there, so they are still selling pretty well.... don't think it is really doing damage, just places I personally wouldn't buy my fish.

No excuse for dead fish, they should be in quarantine if newly shipped.How many shops do you go in where staff are talking among themselves or doing nothing? nearly all of them so no excuse for dead fish or dirty tanks.It's not like that in my house so I don't expect it where someone wants me to spend money.

Most reactions

trending

Back