Best All-In-One?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BigTuna

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Once I get a little more experience under my belt with my FOWLR tank I'd like to get a small reef tank for our kitchen area that me and my wife can both play around with. I am looking at all my options but something around 30G is appealing me the most. I want something that is good on the eyes but still offers great functionality. I'd be interested to see what everyone's opinions are on the various makes and models out there.

Oceanic Biocube 29 HQI, as that has a halide. A friend of mine got one used for $275. He's been raving about it like crazy.

Many of the other AIOs really need modification in the lighting department.

JBJ nanocube makes one that is 28g. Steelhealr had the 24g nanocube of the same make, his functioned cracked for 7 years. So talk about longevity!

There are other, newer ones out there, but those two are the most popular makes.

Red Sea max
Nuvo

Are other brands to look into.

I personally have an Oceanic Biocube 8g that while I love, I'm having some issues with regarding the upgraded lighting. But that's not an issue with the Biocube itself, but the mod that was made to it.

L

One of the LFS carries Oceanic so I've had a look at some of their models. I was on the verge of ordering the 29 when I changed my mind and converted my 125G to salt. I'm not sure if the other store carries much for AOIs, but I will check that out as well. Thanks, L!

Does anyone have any experience with rimless tanks?

I've had nothing but time on my hands for the past few days so I've been spending a lot of time look around on the internet at different AOIs out there. I found something that really caught my eye. It has a design that I find really appealing. A lot of reviews on them are quite promising. Sounds like the design offers a lot of flexibility and gives you plenty of options in terms of what hardware and how you want to use the aquarium. I've heard multiple reviews claim that they are very quite, which is going to be a major factor to me after what I've been through with my FOWLR equipment. Also I find it to have a sort of modern elegance look to it, which I like very much.

Anyone have any experience with the Nuvo 38 from Innovative?

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

for you techies that know more than me:

FEATURES

Aquarium:

38 Gallon Capacity
8 mm Bent Glass
Tempered Glass Lid & Clips
36" High Double Door Modern Stand w/ storage shelf

Lighting:

30 or 92 watt Skkye Light Tablet LED Illumination
Extruded Aluminum Arm
Independent Power Cords
Low Voltage Transformer
Actively Cooled w/ low noise frameless fan
Thermally Protected
Modern Design
Low Profile
Individual LED Reflectors

Filtration:

Acrylic Filter Wall w/ Dual Overflows
(2) Media Basket
Mechanical Sponges
Activated Carbon Sponges
Phosphate Sponges
(2) Flare Nozzles
Designated Heater Column
Designated Refugium Column

Does anyone have any experience with rimless tanks?

Yes, one of my 8g is a finnex rimless. Ended up buying a cover as I love my gobies too much. That's the HUGE drawback to a rimless. Many marine fish jump, especially in nano tanks. Some hobbyist resolve this with proper fish selection, egg crate, custom cut acrylic lids, or glass ones. Depends.

I've had nothing but time on my hands for the past few days so I've been spending a lot of time look around on the internet at different AOIs out there. I found something that really caught my eye. It has a design that I find really appealing. A lot of reviews on them are quite promising. Sounds like the design offers a lot of flexibility and gives you plenty of options in terms of what hardware and how you want to use the aquarium. I've heard multiple reviews claim that they are very quite, which is going to be a major factor to me after what I've been through with my FOWLR equipment. Also I find it to have a sort of modern elegance look to it, which I like very much.

Anyone have any experience with the Nuvo 38 from Innovative?

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

for you techies that know more than me:

FEATURES

Aquarium:

38 Gallon Capacity
8 mm Bent Glass
Tempered Glass Lid & Clips
36" High Double Door Modern Stand w/ storage shelf

Lighting:

30 or 92 watt Skkye Light Tablet LED Illumination
Extruded Aluminum Arm
Independent Power Cords
Low Voltage Transformer
Actively Cooled w/ low noise frameless fan
Thermally Protected
Modern Design
Low Profile
Individual LED Reflectors

Filtration:

Acrylic Filter Wall w/ Dual Overflows
(2) Media Basket
Mechanical Sponges
Activated Carbon Sponges
Phosphate Sponges
(2) Flare Nozzles
Designated Heater Column
Designated Refugium Column

I know people who were considering the Nuvo and love the tank. I'd opt for the higher wattage LEDs if you can afford it. It'll allow for more coral types, though I'm still not sure how intense the lighting is. Most people will end up modifying the tank in some way. Mostly with regard to lighting and filtration. It's cool that it seems to come with enough leeway that you can mod it pretty well. I've got 18w of LEDs, but mine are Rebel LEDs so a bit different than the LEDs that are in the Nuvo. Haha, to be honest with you, people will make modifications to this tank no matter what. It's rare that I've seen an All in one that NOT been modified in some way. I even think Steel's JBJ nanocube was modded by him in some way. I think it's unavoidable unless you are happy with the limitations that an unmodded tank has.

The Nuvo is stunning, though. Pricey, but stunning. A lovely tank.

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back