Best Algae Eater For 5 Gallon?

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bloomsburg pa
I have a 5.5 gallon glass tank that has 1 male betta, what would be the best algae eater for a tank this size? I was thinking about an otto but if I'm not mistaken they do better in groups, is there any other algae eater to clean the tank or any snail that might do the job?
 
Yeh a couple of ottos
 
I think you could get away with 2 or 3 ottos. When I had them, they didn't really group together or school or shoal or whatever. They just didn't ever bother each other really.
 
I had an individual in a 40l tank and he did more than fine, I moved him to a tank with 6 others, they move about but they do not shoal and tbh they don't do much interacting ... too busy eating ... so don't worry about getting just one as it'll do fine.
 
Get some malaysian trumpet snails, every tank should have some of these guys. They'll come out at night and eat the algae then go back under the substrate by day.
 
Get some malaysian trumpet snails, every tank should have some of these guys. They'll come out at night and eat the algae then go back under the substrate by day.
I thought they were more scavenger than algae eater although I'm sure they eat some. Personally, I never want them in another of my tanks. I had a major population problem them a year or 2 ago and ended up having to redo the entire tank and change the sand in order to get rid of them. If you overfeed with them in the tank, be prepared for a literally hundreds or thousands of snails.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top