Berried Cherry Red Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

absta86

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Since moving a few of my cherry shrimp into a tank with my baby guppys I have noticed this morning that Mrs Chilli has green eggs under her tail! I was just wondering how it works exactly. Will she bury her eggs in the sand or carry them around with her? What are some tips for raising healthy shrimplets? Will my guppy babies eat them? I am so excited as this is the first batch of shrimplets for me and Mrs Chilli! Any advice would be great! I tried to take a picture but my camera isn't the best and it didnt really come out. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)
Here is a bad picture lol :) I need a better camera image.jpg

She will carry them around until they are ready to head out in the big wide world...errr tank.

The guppies may eat them depending how big the guppies are. RCS shrimplets are teeny tiny!

And two more
Alasse, the guppy babies are only small at the moment, how long does it take the shrimplets to grow? Is there any special food they love?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 249
I'm no expert on Shrimp , I worried for so long about Shrimp eating my fry but love them now had RCS for a few months now , brilliant little cleaners , I chuck my plants with algae on into the shrimp tank to be cleaned , Female shrimp should get greenish or yellowish eggs under their tail within 30 days of you receiving them, if they don't already have eggs .Once the eggs are under their tails, the eggs will hatch in 3-4 weeks. You will notice how the mom fans the eggs occasionally to prevent fungus from growing on them. The eggs will hatch faster if the water is warmer. You may wake up one day to find tiny clear shrimp on the plants, or on the bottom. Baby RCS look just like the adults, but they are very small, about 2mm long, and clear. But their shape is the same as an adult RCS. Shrimp will not eat their babies unless they are starving. Besides, the babies are quick to get away. I have goodeid fry in with them and they don't eat the young shrimp . I have plenty of cover for the youngsters to hide in .

Some of mine

I feed mine flake & crushed flake , micro worms & other live & frozen foods and there doing great .
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jamowens! Very helpful! I wondered why she was moving the eggs around! That's why I was confused as to if she was trying to bury them! Do the eggs get bigger the closer it is to hatching time or do they stay the same size? I will buy a few more plants for them too. I have a little java moss and fake plants in there at the moment. Thanks for all the help :)
What plant are they on in your video jamowens?

I don't know about the eggs sizes absta86 one day I see them with eggs , then there gone , I spot the odd youngster around in the tank  

Last edited by a moderator:
the fry grow at a fast rate given vegetables, they love blanched spinach and cucumber.

In my 2 years of trial and error the fry shed often as I have found, be wary of the guppies though because they may snack on the fry since they are very fragile

They love to graze on algae specifically hair algae but they cannot eat a whole bunch and finish it all.

The plants hairgrass you can pick them up from most aquarium stockists .

To give you an idea of shrimplet sizes the shrimplet in the front of this picture is pretty close to newborn maybe only a day or two old, while the one further back is probably a week or two old.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I need a few more plants for them when they are born. I think I'll do some researching on hair algae and hair grass. I can share some spinach and cucumber with them :)

also moss is a good plant that the fry can hide in so are cabomba and anacharis

Any moss is good for baby shrimp as it holds beneficial organisms for them to feed off. I've just got a moss ball from Maidenhead aquatics for £3.49.  

I've got java moss and I just got some hair grass today for cheap too. I have just left it in the pot in the tank at the moment. Should I take it out of the pot?

absta86 said:
I've got java moss and I just got some hair grass today for cheap too. I have just left it in the pot in the tank at the moment. Should I take it out of the pot?
attach the moss to driftwood and plant the hairgrass in the substrate, good luck on shrimp keeping

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back