Beneficial bacteria

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JCW_1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When I started my tank 2 months ago I added bottled bacteria product and have used it regularly when doing changes. However, I read and see videos from fishkeepers who claim these products are a waste of money and probably don't work - and say it's best to let bacteria develop slowly and naturally.

Has anyone stopped using bottled bacteria after establishing tank and if so - how long before you stopped using it?

I have an internal filter (Aqua-Flow 200) and i'm not sure how good this is for bacteria to build up and live. It may be that I rely on substrate, which leads to my next question. Am I disturbing my bacteria when I vacuum?

Most liquid filter bacteria supplements do work.

You don't have to add them to the tank every week after a water change. If shops are telling you to do that, they are stealing your money.

Filter bacteria supplements get added when first starting the tank. They help to speed up the cycling process so there is less chance of the fish dying from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Once the filter is established, there is no need to add the bacteria because there is already enough in the filter to keep the water free of ammonia and nitrite.

For newly set up tanks, I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter so it gets drawn into the filter where you want it.

--------------------
Some bacteria lives in the gravel, on rocks, wood, ornaments, plants and even a bit on the glass, but most is usually in the filter. There can be a lot in the gravel but gravel cleaning the substrate does not normally remove the bacteria because it attaches to hard surfaces and creates a biofilm (slimy layer) over the gravel or ornaments, and this biofilm helps the bacteria stay attached to things.

--------------------
If you have a sponge in the filter, the bacteria will live in and on that. To clean the sponge, simply squeeze it out in a bucket of tank water once a month, then re-use the sponge. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn. The filter case can be washed under tap water.

When I started my tank 2 months ago I added bottled bacteria product and have used it regularly when doing changes. However, I read and see videos from fishkeepers who claim these products are a waste of money and probably don't work - and say it's best to let bacteria develop slowly and naturally.

Has anyone stopped using bottled bacteria after establishing tank and if so - how long before you stopped using it?

I have an internal filter (Aqua-Flow 200) and i'm not sure how good this is for bacteria to build up and live. It may be that I rely on substrate, which leads to my next question. Am I disturbing my bacteria when I vacuum?
You should be cautious when using products labelled as "bottled bacteria". You should consider that inexpensive brands without an expiration date more than likely will be plainly simply "sugar water".

Please consider the following when purchasing,

• The product has been reviewed online or in person by reputable content creators & reviewers.

• An expiration date is visible, (Ask a store employee to assist you in locating this expiration date if you are having difficulties.

• Refer and request a member of staff to introduce their opinions & recommendations.
• Once purchased, live bottled bacteria bottles should contain a "brown" substance at the bottom which is likely to be food.

However, I suggest you take a look at this website which shall give context to the image below,
Website
1656851767573.png

I shall quote a passage from the website to assist context,
Note that this test was deliberately kept very simple so that anyone can easily duplicate it if they want to. A rigorous scientific test under laboratory conditions cannot be replicated by any hobbyist so that was not done. This test was not designed to be published in some scientific journals. But the JMP statistical software was used which proved the conclusions were true. This modern computer software is VERY powerful and simply cannot be contested.
Note that several people have now duplicated this test on a smaller scale and gotten similar results. The one point found by these hobbyists was that commercial soil mixes from the garden store do NOT contain a lot of beneficial bacteria and do NOT speed up the cycling time. This is because this soil is sterilized, which kills all the beneficial bacteria.

As somebody who has only ever done a fish in cycle I can say they do work , you want to be using if for around 2 weeks after that if your still having problems I doubt more will work , you can’t just rely of bottled bacteria though you still need to put in extra effort in water changes and vacuuming to collect any possible waste that can cause ammonia, gravel vacuuming shouldn’t effect your BB depending of the depth of the substrate, iv saw study’s where the bacteria can only live in the top 1.5 inches of substrate due to oxygen obviously in well planted tanks root systems dig deeper into the substrate meaning more oxygen . If you have a deep substrate over 2inches I’d be careful about mixing it up too much

You should be cautious when using products labelled as "bottled bacteria". You should consider that inexpensive brands without an expiration date more than likely will be plainly simply "sugar water".

Please consider the following when purchasing,

• The product has been reviewed online or in person by reputable content creators & reviewers.

• An expiration date is visible, (Ask a store employee to assist you in locating this expiration date if you are having difficulties.

• Refer and request a member of staff to introduce their opinions & recommendations.
• Once purchased, live bottled bacteria bottles should contain a "brown" substance at the bottom which is likely to be food.

However, I suggest you take a look at this website which shall give context to the image below,
Website
View attachment 162393

I shall quote a passage from the website to assist context,
thank you - this is really useful.

As somebody who has only ever done a fish in cycle I can say they do work , you want to be using if for around 2 weeks after that if your still having problems I doubt more will work , you can’t just rely of bottled bacteria though you still need to put in extra effort in water changes and vacuuming to collect any possible waste that can cause ammonia, gravel vacuuming shouldn’t effect your BB depending of the depth of the substrate, iv saw study’s where the bacteria can only live in the top 1.5 inches of substrate due to oxygen obviously in well planted tanks root systems dig deeper into the substrate meaning more oxygen . If you have a deep substrate over 2inches I’d be careful about mixing it up too much
When I started everything I read said to expect bacteria blooms and spikes. but maybe i've been really lucky (touch wood) as I haven't had any real problems and my fish are thriving. My view is if it ain't broke don't fix it, which is why I thought about creating problems if i stopped adding bottled bacteria.

One thing i'm getting my head around is UV light, which i understand hinders bacteria from growth and living, but you need light for the plants. Ideally i'd like everything organic and natural, which means less chemicals.

When I started everything I read said to expect bacteria blooms and spikes. but maybe i've been really lucky (touch wood) as I haven't had any real problems and my fish are thriving. My view is if it ain't broke don't fix it, which is why I thought about creating problems if i stopped adding bottled bacteria.

One thing i'm getting my head around is UV light, which i understand hinders bacteria from growth and living, but you need light for the plants. Ideally i'd like everything organic and natural, which means less chemicals.
I agree If it works it works , you don’t need UV light for plants just a good led with reds blues and whites will do just as good if not better

For plants you need a light with a K rating around 6500 with red, blue and some green.

UV light in freshwater tanks is normally used in a UV steriliser. These have the UV lamp inside a housing (either as part of the filter or in a separate unit) and they kill bacteria and other things like the unicellular algae which causes an algae bloom as the water passes through the housing.

Unprotected UV lights can damage human eyes so never use one on an aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back