Beginnings of ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smackitsakic

Reaction score
See photo attached. Is this the beginnings of ich?

I noticed these white spots on the tail fins of two of our glo tetras.

Are these just bubbles or do I need to start treating this?

Attachments

• F3038EEB-6824-4D04-8BF5-FCD30B0FFB7D.jpeg
    F3038EEB-6824-4D04-8BF5-FCD30B0FFB7D.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 99
Could be, do you know your water parameters, namely Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?

Could be, do you know your water parameters, namely Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?
Yes ammonia and nitrites are good (0) and nitrates are in the lowest range.
I’m pretty sure these are just micro bubbles from the air circulation within the tank.

You've lots of bubbles in the tank so may be that. Are the fish flashing at all?

Keep an eye on it, maybe move filter spray so less bubbles for a day or two and see if it's same spots.

Can you tell if the white dots are stuck on the fish? Tiny air bubbles wouldnt stick. If its noticeable that the white dots are in fact on the fish then could be looking at ich

Small air bubbles can stick to fish if the fish is stressed out and producing more mucous than normal. However, they could be white spot.

The simplest treatment for white spot is heat. Raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. The heat should kill off the parasites.

Before you increase the temperature, do a 80-90% water change and complete gravel clean. This will dilute the number of disease organisms in the water and give the heat time to work. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You should clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn/ garden.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

The following link has information about white spot. It might interest you.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back