Beginners Resource Centre

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
OK Rdd's been talking about amending the layout of the pins and the BRC, got a bit of time to kill so here's what I'd suggest as a layout for the BRC just leaving the fishless cycling and signature topics pinned.

We all talked about doing some more advanced articles with some enthusiasm but it seems to have lost momentum, but i've put in a section at the bottom for them and (obviously after peer review and mod approval) we can put them in there.

Let me know if there's anything I've missed or could be better placed, or just if you think the layout doesn't work at all!!! :lol:

Cycling

What's Cycling
The Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Fish-in Cycling
Media Donation
Where to find ammonia, UK and USA
Avoiding and treating new tank syndrome

Setting Up a New Aquarium

Step by step guide to setting up an aquarium
Step by step guide to weekly maintenance
Know your filter media
Sand as a substrate
Wood and it's types

Fish Selection

Fish Species Index
A guide to stocking lists and fish compatibility
Choosing your first fish
Suitable fish for a 10 gallon tank
Algae Eaters
Potential fish to avoid

General Advice

10 Rules for healthy fishkeeping
Advice for the absolute beginner
Some newbie no-no's
Feeding your fish - Resource Centre

Advanced Advice

Bacterial Blooms Explained

I certainly like the layout with different general topics as opposed to the old BRC that just has links all together with no format

That sounds like a good set of groupings to me MW. I just wrote a beginners breeding article for my club that I could add to the list. It basically gives an outline of some things a livebearer beginner might want to know. It does conflict with a post that is pinned in the livebearer section that advocates using salt for mollies because I have found it is not needed. (I have my prejudices like everyone else) It is entry level information but might possibly fit the advanced heading because it is not quite as basic as the other topics.

There was one thread in the original BRC that wasn't on this one. It was your thread on "What's Cycling". I have added it.

There was one thread in the original BRC that wasn't on this one. It was your thread on "What's Cycling". I have added it.

RDD, Miss Wiggle did have that topic linked, but has called it 'Fish-in cycling'. The same link is now there twice.

MW, good work. I hope to find time to write another article soon.

May I suggest that one of the linked topics is updated? The topic I refer to is 'Avoiding and treating new tank syndrome' by Alien Anna. Some of the info in the article is either outdated, could be better, or just simply wrong. You will see I have outlined some of these points at post #24 in the thread. As Anna hasn't been online since July 2004, obviously she won't be making the changes herself...........

I don't want to detract from the usefulness of the thread, as I'm sure it has helped many in the past, but it really needs updated at least if it is going to remain pinned.

BTT :good:

I didn't look at the links on all of them and thought the fish-in cycling thread was the one rabbut's. It probably needs to be there too????

I'll look at the one you mentioned and see what we can do to fix it.

As a newbie and speaking from experience as being one of Miss W's pupils over the last couple of months I think this is great and is another example of the time/dedication/patience and helpfulness shown by Miss W and many other fishkeepers on here. :good: :good: :good:

I say BRAVO :clap: :clap:

p.s and no.....she has not offered me any financial bribe/incentive to say these words :D

p.s and no.....she has not offered me any financial bribe/incentive to say these words :D

your cheque is in the post! :hey:

on the fish-in cycling topics (mine, rabbut's and alien anna's) i think they all add some value but none of them are perfect, do you think it's best to have them all in there or to rationalise and merge them into one comprehensive topic?

your cheque is in the post! :hey:

on the fish-in cycling topics (mine, rabbut's and alien anna's) i think they all add some value but none of them are perfect, do you think it's best to have them all in there or to rationalise and merge them into one comprehensive topic?

You asking me for advice :crazy:

I assume you were throwing it open for general debate?

I think merging them would be difficult. Probably just leaving them all would be the best route. I am currently working on AA's to update it based on a few of the comments that were added by people like BTT. It was written in 2004 and some new information is now available.

perhaps the idea of mergins them is not quite right, but i feel it's a bit combersome to have three topics on the same thing, maybe we should just update one of them so it's perfect (or as near as it can be) and covers everything, then scrap the other two?

I am almost ready to get this up. I have had a slight change of thought though. I think that the media donors thread will still need to stay as a pinned topic on it's own. Otherwise, I don't think members with established tanks will see it in the BRC (since they really wouldn't have much reason to go there) and consider adding themselves to the list. Any thoughts on that???

I'd leave the mature media thread there in the pins as you say, and then link to it from BRC :good:

Would the tank moving guide I did a few months back be relivant to BRC? There was a PM from a mod saying it may be getting pinned and then nothing happened, presumably because the mods had a few more pressing issues at the time... (see here)

With the fish-in cycling thread, it may be an idea to create a new condenced version, and point out that the info has been condenced from the origional three. Mebe then give the reader links to the two that diden't get the modifications made to them in case the reader wants a different view on the information there. All three articles have different styles of writing, and I guess that everyone will have their own favorite version... Mebe update MW's thread and use it as the main working article?

All the best
Rabbut

I have made the change now. It looks odd with only 3 pinned topics but hopefully, that will make it easier for people to find. Also with all the thread being closed, the order won't change as it does now when someone adds a new post.

As far as the 3 fish-in cycling threads, I have left them all for now since they each have valid points that may not be n the other ones. If someone wants to tackle the job of consolidating the 3 of them, then feel free. But on the flip side, I guess it really oesn't matter if they're all there as long as the information is conflicting.

I want to thank Miss Wiggle for the layout and this thread and for all that gave feedback. Hopefully, our newbies will have an easier go of it.

Would the tank moving guide I did a few months back be relivant to BRC?
Added!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back