Bba

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So recently I have upgraded my light from the standard aqua one horizon led light that came with the tank, upgraded to the fluval plant 3.0, i have watched a guy in youtube saying about when using this light to start out on 50% of lights etc (cant remember the guys name off top of my head) I believe I may of had the bba before but it never really started to take off, my tank is a planted tank I el dose all seachem products through out the week and I'm also running co2, what are the first steps to gaining control before it starts to get out of hand if it does I will attach a photo of the tank at the bottom, I have the light on for 10hrs a day gradually ramping up from 12am 0% upto 50% power from 3-4 then gradually coming back down to 0 when the light will turn off at 10

BBA in the first pic on the tip of the leaf if that's what it is looks to me like it seems to only be on that one plant at the min from what I can see

Edit - it is also starting to grow on the sagittaria

Attachments

• 1662395022204622716959690005469.jpg
    1662395022204622716959690005469.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 16623950589302173501159607791779.jpg
    16623950589302173501159607791779.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I think it's either actually hair algae or staghorn algae, since in my experience bba starts out as rough black blobs
not sure how to treat it though, my tank is going through really bad hair algae

Do as much as you can to lift the oxygen content of your tank, Airstones, more filtration (add Carbon), lower your temperature. Then control the light. Plants produce oxygen while photosynthesizing so sometimes longer photo periods are beneficial.

I think it's either actually hair algae or staghorn algae, since in my experience bba starts out as rough black blobs
As I am pretty new to planted tanks I'm not going to lie I'd never even heard of staghorn algea the more I research the more I'm leaning on you being right comparing the to bba seems to grow more compact rather than the staghorn which looks to grow more stringy I panicked, and removed the cryp it was mainly growing on as for the sagittaria it was only actuslly on a few leafs so I just cut them out

I've had several issues with hair algae lately.
Over the few months one of the tanks so full of the stuff that it was trapping fish. I put a couple of Amano shrimp in and they got fat in no time at all but they just can't cope with the huge amount of algae.
The tank was under my bedroom window with no lid on it. The sun comes round to that window at midday and lights the tank until evening.
Anyway, I put the black perspex lid back on the tank and didn't use the tank lights at all. Within a week all the hair algae had died leaving awful white dead mushy leftovers attached to all the tank architecture. I removed as much as possible by hand, changed the water and am now watching all the shrimp chomp throught the remains of it.
DENIAL OF LIGHT is the death of hair algae, and I suspect it's the same for other algaes.

Interesting that you guys mention hair algea also I'm pretty sure I've had that since more of less the start of my tank 7months ago, mainly on my vallisneria we are only talking less than 1mm hair like strands if that's even what it is I'm not up with all the different types of algea I'm still just reading and picking people's brains on here, I find Google very different based on different sites etc

If it looks like hair then it's hair algae. Don't let it get hold as it's damn awful to get rid of.

I've had several issues with hair algae lately.
Over the few months one of the tanks so full of the stuff that it was trapping fish. I put a couple of Amano shrimp in and they got fat in no time at all but they just can't cope with the huge amount of algae.
The tank was under my bedroom window with no lid on it. The sun comes round to that window at midday and lights the tank until evening.
Anyway, I put the black perspex lid back on the tank and didn't use the tank lights at all. Within a week all the hair algae had died leaving awful white dead mushy leftovers attached to all the tank architecture. I removed as much as possible by hand, changed the water and am now watching all the shrimp chomp throught the remains of it.
DENIAL OF LIGHT is the death of hair algae, and I suspect it's the same for other algaes.
thanks for the tip. I'll curb the lighting for a week, but i have transparent lids so some filtered sunlight will get through

Whatever the algea is its turned red I removed the worst effected plants and moved them into a separate tank and it's turned red over night looks kind of nice but I don't want to keep it 😄😄 I'm guessing it's hair algea like suggested? What's the next step to combating it?

Cheers guys

Just kill the light as much as possible until it's gone or dead. Don't use any fertilser and do a 40% water change 2 or 3 times a week

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back