Bare 30 Litre Tank

feed em every other day
needs good filtering

they should try all kinds of snails ;) mine did :D
 
just buy a plastic tank, with water =] a little filter if you need to =] some land aswell
 
ramshorn, pond snails are a good place to start you can set up a small critter keeper to make a sustainable source (i have started one last couple of days!)

I got my DP's from Maidenhead Aquatics, check them out, they were 2 for 5 pounds.

My local stores did not have snails other than apple snails which are tropical and do not breed fast.

To give an idea on feeding, you can buy blister packs of frozen bloodworm at around 2 - 2.50 a pack. It will last you absolutely ages! I cut each little block into halves and quarters and only thaw what I need, it will last ages this way. To thaw have a little container dedicated to their food and use the tank water.

Good treats and possibly best to start with are live bloodworm, you can buy these for 99p they will last a week at the most, keep them in the fridge to prolong their longevity, when they start to warm up you will see them wriggle again.

Your puffs may take a while to get used to certain foods but be patient, I am having to be as mine have never seen snails before and perfecting their technique.

Your snails keep their water clean, feed left over bloodworm, bits of veggies etc.

My puff tank started off with plastic plants and have a mix of live ones as well now, they just like the foliage :)

Hope thats a kick start on research!

oh also, people on here sell / donate them. Also Ebay is a good place but be particular about who buy off and ensure if they are willing to resend a fresh batch if the first do not make it (I learned the hard way .... rotting snail is something I will not forget quickly ewww).

p.s. I have both bettas and DPs. They are both awesome, both have absolutely great personalities. My lone dwarf and betta interact with me and my partner more and really like our company, my three dwarves in the main tank can't go near without them zooming and begging (but that what makes them so cute!) Piggy one in the main tank partidcularly loves to wrap her self on me and sometimes I have to nudge her aside :)

So both are great, depends what you are after! Sorry to ramble.
 
oh and here are some pics of mine to help the decision!

3633319140_4c7970fd2f_m.jpg

3586738362_eb18d7e005_m.jpg

3585928405_72f9cd490f_m.jpg
 
ramshorn, pond snails are a good place to start you can set up a small critter keeper to make a sustainable source (i have started one last couple of days!)

I got my DP's from Maidenhead Aquatics, check them out, they were 2 for 5 pounds.

My local stores did not have snails other than apple snails which are tropical and do not breed fast.

To give an idea on feeding, you can buy blister packs of frozen bloodworm at around 2 - 2.50 a pack. It will last you absolutely ages! I cut each little block into halves and quarters and only thaw what I need, it will last ages this way. To thaw have a little container dedicated to their food and use the tank water.

Good treats and possibly best to start with are live bloodworm, you can buy these for 99p they will last a week at the most, keep them in the fridge to prolong their longevity, when they start to warm up you will see them wriggle again.

Your puffs may take a while to get used to certain foods but be patient, I am having to be as mine have never seen snails before and perfecting their technique.

Your snails keep their water clean, feed left over bloodworm, bits of veggies etc.

My puff tank started off with plastic plants and have a mix of live ones as well now, they just like the foliage :)

Hope thats a kick start on research!

oh also, people on here sell / donate them. Also Ebay is a good place but be particular about who buy off and ensure if they are willing to resend a fresh batch if the first do not make it (I learned the hard way .... rotting snail is something I will not forget quickly ewww).

p.s. I have both bettas and DPs. They are both awesome, both have absolutely great personalities. My lone dwarf and betta interact with me and my partner more and really like our company, my three dwarves in the main tank can't go near without them zooming and begging (but that what makes them so cute!) Piggy one in the main tank partidcularly loves to wrap her self on me and sometimes I have to nudge her aside :)

So both are great, depends what you are after! Sorry to ramble.
:):):):):):):):):):):) i think ill get 2 dps but i will observe them in the fish tank at the shop for longer than usual... thats alot of help, i do apriciate it !
does any oppose putting pgymy cories for any reason or am i clear to put those in


one qestion, could i put pond snails into a beaker and wait for them to breed
they dont need a tank, just a beaker with plants right?

oh and here are some pics of mine to help the decision!

3633319140_4c7970fd2f_m.jpg
in love with this crown tail, wat a beaut :)
 
you are really welcome, I am sure there is more advice for you but only had my DPs for 2 months. :)

Do observe them but remember that they may change temperament in the environment you provide as they will hopefully feel safer, won't have to compete for food as much and also can establish territories. Where I bought mine, there were 30 in a tank who were all healthy and zippy, the only one I chose out of my four was mainman as he was clearly a male, I let the guy have fun with the net after that trying to catch the last 3!
 
well when they are young it is extremely hard to and a bit of a pot luck.

Generally the males will have blue irridescent wrinkles around the eyes and a prominent dark stripe on their belly (though recently found out the stripe can mean dominance in a female).

The females tend to have very white bellies and there is something else that can not remember now... the pic I posted was of a female. Though juveniles can look the same. Just going to see if can find a male with his wrinkles :)


ah here is an example of eye wrinkles

3684208465_8645da442f.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top