Bandaged hand and deferred water changes?

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Last week I had surgery on my left hand (12/15), and my follow up appointment is Jan 3rd. I have a splint all wrapped up and can't get it wet OR lift more than the weight of a cup of coffee (they didn't tell me what SIZE coffee!).

Here's the thing... my two little betta tanks are getting algae thanks to the leaves being off the trees outside the window next to them (didn't have that problem all summer!) and I can't do a complete water change with this Hand Burrito.

I can do partial water changes with my right hand, but I am worried about the fish poo in the gravel along with the algae. I tested the ammonia level last night in the larger tank, and it is safe. Both fish seem happy. Both also have some live plants but only 1 has a sponge filter (which is turning green so I assume it needs a clean).

My question is should I at least TRY a complete water change and rinse off the gravel NOW, risking my healing hand and bandages, or see if things are ok a week from now??
😟😟😟😟😟😟

Bettas are okay in raunchier water, as they are air breathers. Rinsing the gravel is something I used to do every few years, and simply removing water was my approach to maintenance. My Bettas lived for years.
Block off the sunlight to reduce the algae, and wait it out. If you are really worried, you can feed them every second day til your hand is cleared for work.

I hope it heals well, and that the burrito effect is very temporary.

Thanks for your input! I can type a bit better now... but I've never had surgery and the mere thought of the stitches being removed creeps me out!

Just leave the fish, they will be fine for a few weeks without a water change or cleaning the glass.

When the stiches are removed, it's an odd sensation but not unpleasant. I would rather have stitches removed than a needle or stitches put in. They simply cut the stitch and pull it out. It doesn't take long and you might bleed a bit where the stitches come out but it's not a lot of blood (a drop or two). Then you go home.

My boyfriend says I shouldn't think of the suture as THREAD, more like a plastic filament. ;-)

I did give in and picked up one nerite snail today (see thread)

Do not get that hand in tank water until you doctor says it s safe.

Most of what was said above is right on. Do not worry about algae, you can easily block the light with a bit of imagination. Fish can go days without eating. Feed minimally and you reduce potential issues and the need to vac.

Do change some water. You can remove water using a container which you hold in your good hand, you can return water the sane way. You do not have to it more than once a week and depending on the tank size, a bit less often.

Stitches are not bad coming out. I have had then and staples. Staples are worse to have taken out.

A number of years ago I responded to and ad for used tanks about a 45 minute drive from me. The seller ws an African cichlid breeder and had a basement full of tanks from 20L to 220 gals. They all had fish. He had needed to have back surgery and was forced to sell everything off. He was not able to do tank work. He pretty much stopped feeding the fish as well. Despite this they were doing OK many weeks later. Fish can go some time without eating.

When i had my heart attack followed by bypass, I was in the hospital for 10 days. I had my bro feed most tanks every 3 days except for fry which need to eat daily. I could not due any maint. for some time. Fortunately, some of the members of my fish club helped with water changes. But instead of weekly they were being done every 2-3 weeks. I lost no fish.

Finally, I sometimes wear a glove on one hand fpor working in tanks. I use the latex exam gloves and then use wtaerproof tape to seal them above my wrist. I also have a pair of the Aquagloves: https://kensfish.com/collections/gloves-tongs/products/coralife-aqua-gloves-1-pair
095052_720x.jpg

Most reactions

Back