Ball Python Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sona98765

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am getting a ball python when i come back from vacation and was reading that they should have a "woodland terrarium", with live plants and stuff
i really dont know how to make one so if anyone can help that would be appreciated.
also, what type of heating should i use, UTH or Overhead Heating??

Ball Pythons from memory arent from the woodland theyre african snakes. Live plants dont really work in vivs either Im struggling with live plants in a cresty gecko viv

Isd get a viv about 3ft long with a ceramic bulb and pulse stat at one end. Dont bother with heat mats they can burn a snake

A hide at each end warm and hot to allow the snake to thermoregulate and then a watr bowl. Ball pythins are lovely snakes albeit very static and often difficult to feed

^^ Exactly what he said :)

I lost both my Royals in one go over christmas to a heatmat fail. Both were really small and in tubs rather than vivs yet but the thermostat failed and the heatmat just stopped working. It was freezing cold and I was away for two days and my Ex didnt notice :(

Definately go for the Ceramic Heater and definately get a heater guard! They get so hot that if a snake touches it, it will pretty much melt the snake to it! Anda decent Stat as well.

Only thing I would say is go for an adult or subadult Royal (Ball) Python, dont go for a baby, babies are reputably difficult to feed and get on with and for a first snake, not ideal! Royals cant live a *long* time so buying an adult isnt going to change much, maybe less a year or two.

There are loads of adult royals looking for homes online!

^^ Exactly what he said :)

I lost both my Royals in one go over christmas to a heatmat fail. Both were really small and in tubs rather than vivs yet but the thermostat failed and the heatmat just stopped working. It was freezing cold and I was away for two days and my Ex didnt notice :(

Definately go for the Ceramic Heater and definately get a heater guard! They get so hot that if a snake touches it, it will pretty much melt the snake to it! Anda decent Stat as well.

Only thing I would say is go for an adult or subadult Royal (Ball) Python, dont go for a baby, babies are reputably difficult to feed and get on with and for a first snake, not ideal! Royals cant live a *long* time so buying an adult isnt going to change much, maybe less a year or two.

There are loads of adult royals looking for homes online!

I heard that they can live for more than 20 years??
Also, can you give me all the materials needed to start off with a good terrarium??
i live in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada so if there are any werbsites that ship to canada, i would be glad to hear them.

Im in the UK so couldnt help you with any breeders im afraid!

That said.. Yes, Royals can easily live about 20 years so bear in mind the commitment you are making, they live far longer than a cat or dog! However... at least they dont need walking ;)

What you will need:

Vivarium (size will depend on snake, as an adult.. it would need 4ft long but you couldnt put a baby in a vivarium that big, too muchspace and they wont eat!).

Thermostat (pulse stat as Simonas said)

Ceramic Bulb, Light Unit & Light Guard (will cost you a pretty penny but very necessary)

Decor (substrate/reptile bedding, moss hide to keep damp to help shedding, moss, a bit of corkbark etc.. they dont climb..)

Feeding Stuffs (feeding tongs, dead things! will depend on size of snake and what they are already being fed... might be chicks, mice, rats, multimammates or gerbils.... and you'll need an airtight box to keep them in the freezer as you dont want them in with your food! and for that matter... make sure everyone is ok with them being there!)

Might need a box to feed the snake in. You dont want the snake swallowing bedding so best thing to do is to do is to pop the snake into an empty storage box with a good tight lid with no substrate and his food and when done eating, pop him back into his vivarium.

Im sure there is more but cant think off the top of my head at the moment!

Im in the UK so couldnt help you with any breeders im afraid!

That said.. Yes, Royals can easily live about 20 years so bear in mind the commitment you are making, they live far longer than a cat or dog! However... at least they dont need walking ;)

What you will need:

Vivarium (size will depend on snake, as an adult.. it would need 4ft long but you couldnt put a baby in a vivarium that big, too muchspace and they wont eat!).

Thermostat (pulse stat as Simonas said)

Ceramic Bulb, Light Unit & Light Guard (will cost you a pretty penny but very necessary)

Decor (substrate/reptile bedding, moss hide to keep damp to help shedding, moss, a bit of corkbark etc.. they dont climb..)

Feeding Stuffs (feeding tongs, dead things! will depend on size of snake and what they are already being fed... might be chicks, mice, rats, multimammates or gerbils.... and you'll need an airtight box to keep them in the freezer as you dont want them in with your food! and for that matter... make sure everyone is ok with them being there!)

Might need a box to feed the snake in. You dont want the snake swallowing bedding so best thing to do is to do is to pop the snake into an empty storage box with a good tight lid with no substrate and his food and when done eating, pop him back into his vivarium.

Im sure there is more but cant think off the top of my head at the moment!

Thanks so much, is there any substrate you would recommend ?

Hard to say, I cant name brands as different countries have different brands...

However... I always used a kind of wood chips, now like wood shavings but still soft? Its actually a horse bedding and bought in big bales.

Dont use the muddy soil substrate as it holds too much moisture and will be too damp, same as sand isn't great as it is too dry and coarse on their scales.

Aubiouse is a good bedding to use!
http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1052&bih=635&q=bliss+bedding+for+horses&gbv=2&oq=bliss+bedding&aq=1S&aqi=g1g-S7g-mS1&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24l7j0i5i24.114136.116612.0.119958.13.13.0.0.0.0.260.1768.1j11j1.13.0...0.0.29s9KTcHhsQ#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=aubiose+bedding&oq=aubio&aq=1&aqi=g2g-S3g-sS1g-S4&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2j0i24l3j0i10i24j0i24l4.16265.17872.0.20463.5.5.0.0.0.0.159.702.0j5.5.0...0.0.LpwHM4E7A18&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=342369b776aee7e1&biw=1052&bih=635

I recomend you join here: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/default.asp

I'm a member there too and it's a great place to learn all you need to know about your first Royal Python. I had a male called Tiger Eye and it was an exelent forum for me, everyone is friendly and helpful and always there for when you need them : )

Hard to say, I cant name brands as different countries have different brands...

However... I always used a kind of wood chips, now like wood shavings but still soft? Its actually a horse bedding and bought in big bales.

Dont use the muddy soil substrate as it holds too much moisture and will be too damp, same as sand isn't great as it is too dry and coarse on their scales.

Aubiouse is a good bedding to use!
http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1052&bih=635&q=bliss+bedding+for+horses&gbv=2&oq=bliss+bedding&aq=1S&aqi=g1g-S7g-mS1&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24l7j0i5i24.114136.116612.0.119958.13.13.0.0.0.0.260.1768.1j11j1.13.0...0.0.29s9KTcHhsQ#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=aubiose+bedding&oq=aubio&aq=1&aqi=g2g-S3g-sS1g-S4&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2j0i24l3j0i10i24j0i24l4.16265.17872.0.20463.5.5.0.0.0.0.159.702.0j5.5.0...0.0.LpwHM4E7A18&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=342369b776aee7e1&biw=1052&bih=635

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back