Bala Shark Funny Behaviour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently added three bala sharks (3 inches each) to my 6x2x2 tank.

They have settled in quite well and have not bothered the other fish. Most of the time they school together in the mid to top level of the tank.

I've noticed since I added them that they like to swim to the top of the tank at the back where the outlet spray bars are, almost as if they like to swim against the current. Is this normal or is this a sign of lack of oxygen or another problem like ich in the tank? I don't have any powerheads in the tank so the only source of waterflow would be the canister outlet spray bars.

I've not kept bala sharks nor could I find this kind of info on them, so any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm hoping its not a serious issue here and just me being paranoid!

Thanks

I would say its normal I find a lot of fish like high flow danios ect

if you think thats strange...

i bought a bala about a month ago (about 5 cm long now) and placed him in my acclimatising tank with an angel fish.

the day after.. i see the bala swimming above the filter (the tank has an internal filter b.t.w.), then swims forward into the current covering nearly the whole tank length in a second, then goes again for round 2 and 3 and so on... the angel did it once (by accident) and now avoids the filter altogether.

he doesnt do it anymore... guess he got bord of it or something

sadly i too had trouble finding info on bala and rainbow sharks... i dont know how big they get, rocks or plants, ph, breeding etc. so im on the "trail and error" route now.

one thing i can tell you is they like currents, iv seen them nibbling on plants the 2 of them get along great with my angel and when they sleep they like being outside the currents like under rocks or so.

if you think thats strange...

i bought a bala about a month ago (about 5 cm long now) and placed him in my acclimatising tank with an angel fish.

the day after.. i see the bala swimming above the filter (the tank has an internal filter b.t.w.), then swims forward into the current covering nearly the whole tank length in a second, then goes again for round 2 and 3 and so on... the angel did it once (by accident) and now avoids the filter altogether.

he doesnt do it anymore... guess he got bord of it or something

sadly i too had trouble finding info on bala and rainbow sharks... i dont know how big they get, rocks or plants, ph, breeding etc. so im on the "trail and error" route now.

one thing i can tell you is they like currents, iv seen them nibbling on plants the 2 of them get along great with my angel and when they sleep they like being outside the currents like under rocks or so.

A bala shark is also called a siver shark an rainbow shark is also called red finned shark albino or black, ive had all these and they are all lively fish all mine loved playing in currents from filters and power heads, my brother in law's does the same too so i think its pretty normal behavour. The rainbow sharks (red finned) like to hide a fair bit too so a few caves would be good .
Hope this helps
JAY

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back