Bala down, gasping please help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Regarding the clown loach/loaches, I am going to offer quite different advice. Namely, do not get more. First, assuming this is a 5 or 6 foot tank, it is not sufficient space for mature loaches that should be in groups greater than six, but this means an 8-foot tank is bare minimum. Looking ahead, this is not going to work on this aspect alone. Second, the group of loaches must be added at the same time, so a natural hierarchy forms. One loach will be the alpha, and the others will know it. This is a basic inherent nature of all botine loaches. [Botine is my term for all species of several genera that are basically "loach" shaped, it has nothing directly to do solely with Botia species.] After the considerable time that has elapsed with this clown on his/her own, adding others (which will also likely be smaller/younger) could cause the matur loach to decide they are not welcome. That will not be very nice to witness. This is probably a situation where it is kinder to the fish to leave well enough alone. I certainly agree that being the lone loach is a very serious detriment to the fish, but this in not reversible so it may be best to leave well enough alone.
Thank you. Our tank is approximately 7 feet long, and since our loach bonded so well with the shark, I feel he may not do as well with the addition of many new loaches either. IF we decide to add more, Iā€™d add only one more, pay for one younger BUT not as young where heā€™d want to eat it, meaning spend the bucks to get a more mature one thatā€™s larger, but younger than he. Iā€™m told itā€™s unusual for a loach and shark to bond the way these two did, but itā€™s what happened. It appeared the Bala was the older brother and the loach the younger who always wanted to go out with him and his friends!šŸ˜Š

IF we decide to add more, Iā€™d add only one more, pay for one younger BUT not as young where heā€™d want to eat it, meaning spend the bucks to get a more mature one thatā€™s larger, but younger than he.

This is almost guaranteed to fail. Onbe loach entering another's territory is going to lose the battle, believe me. Hoping for a better outcome that is opposed to the very nature of the species is never a good plan. These fish have all this programmed into the genetics, so we assume it is going to play out accordingly.

If you acquired say seven or eight clown loaches, and put them and the existing loach in a new aquascape together at the same time, it might work, but it is a huge might. I would not do this to the fish, ever.

The bala shark species is the same, they need close to 10. The fact that things have worked out so well up to now is a very lucky break, as it is not normal. But the bala is not a loach, it is a barb in fact, and they are wired a bit differently when it comes to how shoaling plays out. I would not be quick to term the relationship between the loach and the bala a bonding; from an ichthyological viewpoint it is (or was) more of a stressful situation that luckily played out better than any biologist would expect, given the circumstances.

This is almost guaranteed to fail. Onbe loach entering another's territory is going to lose the battle, believe me. Hoping for a better outcome that is opposed to the very nature of the species is never a good plan. These fish have all this programmed into the genetics, so we assume it is going to play out accordingly.

If you acquired say seven or eight clown loaches, and put them and the existing loach in a new aquascape together at the same time, it might work, but it is a huge might. I would not do this to the fish, ever.

The bala shark species is the same, they need close to 10. The fact that things have worked out so well up to now is a very lucky break, as it is not normal. But the bala is not a loach, it is a barb in fact, and they are wired a bit differently when it comes to how shoaling plays out. I would not be quick to term the relationship between the loach and the bala a bonding; from an ichthyological viewpoint it is (or was) more of a stressful situation that luckily played out better than any biologist would expect, given the circumstances.
Thanks for your knowledge, unfortunately we relied on the input of the sales people at the store at the time, which to me doesnā€™t always mean youā€™ll get the best REAL advice! I wish I wouldā€™ve found this site a long time ago to be able to get REAL info from hobbyists that have knowledge and experience. Iā€™m always open to advice and will take yoursā€¦.thank you!

Again, Iā€™m floored how amazing and helpful everyone on this site is! Thatā€™s some good medicine for me to see kindness and people helping others, especially in todays world! šŸ’•

Thank you. Our tank is approximately 7 feet long, and since our loach bonded so well with the shark, I feel he may not do as well with the addition of many new loaches either. IF we decide to add more, Iā€™d add only one more, pay for one younger BUT not as young where heā€™d want to eat it, meaning spend the bucks to get a more mature one thatā€™s larger, but younger than he. Iā€™m told itā€™s unusual for a loach and shark to bond the way these two did, but itā€™s what happened. It appeared the Bala was the older brother and the loach the younger who always wanted to go out with him and his friends!šŸ˜Š
7ft is long for a 125 gallon. Any idea what the length, height, and depth are in inches?

Byron does have a point. A 125 gallon is borderline too small for clown loaches. You would ideally have an 8+ foot tank and you would get more like 8-10 loaches. If I had a 125 gallon I was just setting up I would not get clown loaches, I would get different, smaller botine loach like yoyo loaches. Although it's not best practices, I think 6 clown loaches in a 125 gallon could work, and it would certainly be a better set up than most clown loaches are kept in.

Aggression could be a problem, and it is possible that the clown loach you have now would reject any added clown loaches. However, I think there is a chance it could work, and if it did, it would be great for the clown loach that you have now. Also, I would not get just one new clown loach. This would almost certainly not work. Clown loaches need a family not a pair. Either get no more loaches or 5 more loaches.

I'd get 5 more loaches and redecorate the tank when you do, so everyone has to set up new territory, add stones and plants or move stones and plants. You did really well having that bala make it that long. Not an easy fish, sensitive - any contaminant in the water the bala is the first fish to die. and they do run into tank walls and knock themselves out if startled. you did good. Get well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back