Badis assamensis

Hi comet ,

Of the three species of badis I've kept the Assams grew to the largest size [ around 3" +] .
[ We originally got it confused with the Siam/ similar sounding name ]
Only kept 1 Assam though , so I couldn't tell you anything about sexual diffs .

The one we had was very personable , always out to see us , not very colorful.....could have been a female , they all looked the same at the shop and at $20 each , looking rather plain I only bought one . :/

My Badis badis badis males are much more colorful than the females and Dorsal and anal fins extent a little bit further . My males are about 25% larger than females .

Also had one scarlet for about a month , I think water flow did him in .

Thanks aloaring + lucky. :D

Aloaring - I guess you could classify it as an impulse buy, although I was at a LFS that I hardly ever get to go to, so I went in prepared for anything. :whistle:
My main goal was plants, but they were due a shipment the next day and didn't have anything special. I did buy 2 nice crypts (I love crypts) and 2 bunches of bi-color nessae. I also found Croaking gouramis. :hyper:

Lucky - They had 2 in different tanks, because they didn't get along. Neither were very colorful. They were only 8.99 each. The fish seems to change color alot, but nothing very colorful.

I'll try to get some pics tonight after it gets dark tonight.

I'll see if my Son can find a pic of ours , the shop had quite a few of them last year when I got them ......all in different tanks as well :blink: any time I saw the blue badis[ triple badis ] , they were all together ....interesting :huh: .

Please excuse the water stains and tiger barbs:
m-day041.jpg

Wow what a lovely looking fish.

I used to have two badis badis, i bought them in a local garden centre that didn't really knew what they were. They were very nice fish with quite a bit of personality considering how small they were.

Did you ever redo your tank?

aloaring said:
Wow what a lovely looking fish.

I used to have two badis badis, i bought them in a local garden centre that didn't really knew what they were. They were very nice fish with quite a bit of personality considering how small they were.

Did you ever redo your tank?
Thanks aloaring! :D He/she is a VERY picky eater! So far I've only had luck with frozen Hikari blood worm. It looked like he was spitting out the frozen tubiflex worms last night. He won't touch flakes (O.S.I. cichlid flake or Hikari tropical). Omega One shrimp pellets he just laughs at and says "try again". I even tried Hikari sinking carnivore pellets I feed my Leopard Ctenopoma. He stared at in for about 90 seconds, ready to strike, then swam away. Tonight I might try some cut up, cooked shrimp I have in the freezer. :rolleyes:

I slightly re-arranged the 29g. I added a few more plants (some crypts, bi-color nessae, anubias barteri) and I made the slate base (that the drift-wood is attached to) smaller so I could plant around it. I was going to put in another piece of slate-attached driftwood from my 55g, but I broke the slate in half trying to make it smaller! HULK SMASH!!! :flex: It now floats like a life-preserver and has to be wedged under pieces of bogwood and rock. :whistle:

I'll post some updated pics later in the week. It doesn't look much different to me yet, but it might after I compare it to the old pics.

:( The badis species I've kept would only eat frozen, freeze are live small foods .Never any flake or pellet :( Freeze dried Bloodworm is a staple for most of our fish .

That guy/girl is just as colorful as our Assam was , comet , do you have just the one ?

How big is it now ?

:lol: they like to stalk their food ;) , the sinking pellet story brought back some memories :D

Unfortunately he died after a treatment to rid our tanks of a type of nematode.

We had him for 7 or 8 months

Ours had a belly that curved in , an indication that it could be a male with badis species , comet , does your fishes belly always look full . or curve out ward ?

You could have a female .

lucky62 said:
Ours had a belly that curved in , an indication that it could be a male with badis species , comet , does your fishes belly always look full . or curve out ward ?
I would say the belly is curved inward, but it's hard to tell.

BTW, that Curviceps(sp?) is very cool. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back